Please help!!! (respiratory infection?)

Dana123

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
So my aunt wanted me to take care of her Tortoise and it was sick.So i contacted a friend and he told me to get natural science vitamin c and told me to separate the tortoises so the sick tortoise has bubbles coming out of its mouth and a runny nose and sometimes teary eyes so i decided to soak it everyday for at least ten minutes and keep it warm but other than that i dont know what to do and it wont eat i have a syringe because i thought it would help if i force feed it a little because i was worried

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like an URI and may need to see a vet.
In the mean time stop feeding the vitamin C. Get the enclosure temps up to 85 all over and for day and night. Keep soaking him in warm water for 30 minutes every day.
See if he will eat any romaine lettuce. It will help hydrate and maybe he will eat it.
You can also put carrot pureed baby food in the warm soak water also add piediyte.
If not improvements in about 3 days then find a good reptile vet that has tortoise experience.

Dana123

Kuwait
I tried everything i tried feeding it different things it just wont eat it wont even open its mouth without bubbles coming out but i noticed when i soak it the bubbles and runny nose just go away for like 10min

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do the other things suggested and start a search for a good tortoise vet.
They can go quite a while without food but not without water so keep him hydrated.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Higher temps ASAP. Daily warm bath soaks. Place the tortoise under a sunny basking spot and monitor. Make these changes asap.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The tortoise needs a basking spot and uvb for proper health. The tort looks very young and needs the immediate attention to thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my aunt wanted me to take care of her Tortoise and it was sick.So i contacted a friend and he told me to get natural science vitamin c and told me to separate the tortoises so the sick tortoise has bubbles coming out of its mouth and a runny nose and sometimes teary eyes so i decided to soak it everyday for at least ten minutes and keep it warm but other than that i dont know what to do and it wont eat i have a syringe because i thought it would help if i force feed it a little because i was worried
Set the tortoise up in the correct habitat with the correct lighting and temperatures. This is the best way to combat sickness.

Stop the vitamin C. It doesn't do anything.

Do not force feed the tortoise. It is not eating for a reason. Fix the reason and it will start eating again.

Soak for 30-40 minutes and keep the water warm for the entire soak.

Here is the correct housing info, but keep the over all temperatures warmer than what is suggested to combat the sickness.

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Please get him to a vet. An URI that has progressed to swollen eyes, running nose is an emergency. If not treated it will likely move to his lungs and cause pneumonia. He likely NEEDS antibiotics. I don’t think anything other than antibiotics and great supportive care (temps/humidity, soaking while keeping water warm, is going to get him better.