Pomegranates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, CA
Forgive me if this question has been asked before and I missed it . . . but exactly what "part" of the Pomegranate is safe for tortoises?
P1010053.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010056.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise nothin'. I want to eat it.

Never fed these to a tortoise.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Tom said:
Tortoise nothin'. I want to eat it.

Never fed these to a tortoise.

Tom - thanks for the in-put. We have 3 Pomegranate trees and 1 miniature (actually I believe they are called "dwarf" trees, just trying to be PC) and all 4 are going to be loaded, by Fall.:p
Send me your addess & when they are ready we'll send some your way.

Fireluv007 said:
Pomegranates are listed in this thread http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html for food that's good...

I had seen that, but then I just couldn't figure out which part of the pomegranate - certainly not the seeds? I've seen Tex chomp on the blossoms that fall to the ground if we don't get them picked up right away. Oh! And by the way - Tex never did get ahold of the 1 in the pic - this year we trimed the trees up a little higher!

sharkstar said:
Great pics!

Thanks! That's Tex and he's quite the ham when it comes to entertaining us and getting his picture taken!:rolleyes:

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am confused, Pomegranate is good, bad, or just parts?

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great pictures of Tex! Poor guy (if I read correctly) he went to all that work and never got to eat his just reward? So what do pomegranates taste like?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:
So what do pomegranates taste like?

That is like saying what does a banana taste like, It tastes like a banana. They are unique. I guess I would describe it as cranberryish and grapeish.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thanks! that gives me some idea to go by. I am assuming they are ripe when they reach the color of the one in the picture with Tex? Do you then remove the skin? the seed (or seeds)? or eat it all?

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Jacqui said:
Thanks! that gives me some idea to go by. I am assuming they are ripe when they reach the color of the one in the picture with Tex? Do you then remove the skin? the seed (or seeds)? or eat it all?

Jacqui,
So I'm guessing pomegranates are not popular in New Hampshire?
Checkout http://pomegranates.org good info on removing and preparing seeds - makes wonderful jelly!

Sandy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got a pomegranate tree on my ranch. I break them open and just eat the inside and spit out the seeds. Very messy and a lot of work for a little food, but tasty. Mine usually aren't ripe until mid-September.

Now my plum tree is in full production too. Its a little tree, but I still can't give them away fast enough. Everyone I know has bags full of plums. Too bad they aren't good for my tortoise species. I might have to cut the pits out and give them a little for a treat. My roaches sure like them.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Mmm...plums. My fiance loves pomegranates. I think they're too much work and too messy lol.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Jacqui said:
OurZoo said:
Jacqui,
So I'm guessing pomegranates are not popular in New Hampshire?
Checkout http://pomegranates.org good info on removing and preparing seeds - makes wonderful jelly!

Sandy

I don't know, I am from Nebraska. :p:D

Sorry 'bout that! Old Timers Disease!:(

Tom said:
I've got a pomegranate tree on my ranch. I break them open and just eat the inside and spit out the seeds. Very messy and a lot of work for a little food, but tasty. Mine usually aren't ripe until mid-September.

Now my plum tree is in full production too. Its a little tree, but I still can't give them away fast enough. Everyone I know has bags full of plums. Too bad they aren't good for my tortoise species. I might have to cut the pits out and give them a little for a treat. My roaches sure like them.

Roaches!?!? As in your pesonal pets? (Be kind in answering - I'm old!):(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a pom tree in my rain forest where the Asian tortoises are. I've broken them up and laid them on the ground, but the tortoises just ignore them. And the Asian tortoises will eat anything (like Mikey).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OurZoo said:
Roaches!?!? As in your pesonal pets? (Be kind in answering - I'm old!):(

Of course I'll be kind. I've got 18 species. Mainly for feeders, but some are pet varieties too.

Status
Not open for further replies.