Poop

Wendy Proulx

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake VA
We have had our Yellow Foot for about 3 weeks and last night he pooped for what I think is the first time since we have had him. Is that normal? It was quite large about 1.5 inches (He’s only about 3 inches) it was nice a formed. I just don’t know if they poop rarely or if he might be a little bit constipated. Thank you for any information.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suspect you are missing the poops in the substrate. At 1.5 inches, the poops aren't going to be very big.

Assuming your tort is getting at least 20 minutes in warm water every day and the correct diet then what goes in will generate poop out the other end. It's just hard to find until the tort gets bigger unless it happens in the soak water.

Is your tortoise otherwise active, eating and gaining weight?

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Yes, he acting fine. We were just surprised by the amount when we had him out last night. He also was making noises as it was coming out.

Bee62

Germany
Yes, he acting fine. We were just surprised by the amount when we had him out last night. He also was making noises as it was coming out.

Making noise while pooping can be a sign for too hard poop. What do you feed ?

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
All fresh. He doesn’t like the tortoise diet food. Mixture of greens and veggies. Every other day he gets offereded some fruit. Started pumpkin this week, so I figure that will help

Bee62

Germany
All fresh. He doesn’t like the tortoise diet food. Mixture of greens and veggies. Every other day he gets offereded some fruit. Started pumpkin this week, so I figure that will help

That is astonishing. Fresh food should make a normal ( not to hard ) poop. Cucumber is known to make poop smoother.