Possible beginning stages of Shell Rot?

dexter.lo

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
Hello all! So, yesterday I had my tort outside and took a peak under him and saw these strange little spots on the bottom of his shell. They’re the little spots that are white and just odd looking. So I began to do some research and was beginning to lean towards possibly shell rot? Obviously the main reason this happens is the sub is too damp etc. I took a look at his hide in his setup and saw he was digging way down to the damp layer of coco and sleeping and laying on that constantly. I have these 2 supplies on hand if needed possibly?? He’s eating totally normally and doing everything normal… his temps and humidity is perfect. I’m just so sure is because he’s been laying in this damp layer of coco. I put down some more bark to ensure he will be dryer. Someone help please ands thank you all !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2054.jpeg
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2053.jpeg
    IMG_2053.jpeg
    971 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas don't get shell rot. That is not shell rot.

Do a search for "squiggly lines" here on the forum to read hours of discussion, or here is the short version: Those circles and lines are normal and not harmful, and we don't know what they are, but they appear to be associated with well hydrated growing animals.

The digging down in to the dampness in the hide is excellent for your baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Toms post. When doing research, keep it to this forum or you will get all kinds of bad info.