Possible Shell Rot? NEED HELP

Nlou22

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I was checking my cherry head tortoise today and noticed the the plastron appeared to look very weird . Also on the back side of the shell a bit near the tail. Is this shell rot, something else, or is this normal ? Please help me figure out what this is.

Attachments

• 57AAD52E-FFE1-4255-970D-9AA6F4FD3319.jpeg
    57AAD52E-FFE1-4255-970D-9AA6F4FD3319.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • C5D73808-CC64-4662-8574-1C53A583171C.jpeg
    C5D73808-CC64-4662-8574-1C53A583171C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I agree, it looks a little funky.

I would give the tort a soak in warm water, then a gentle scrub of the shell with a toothbrush and white vinegar, a quick rinse, then rub some dollar store athlete's foot cream all over the shell... and repeat that process in 3 days.

Jamie

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

I would give the tort a soak in warm water, then a gentle scrub of the shell with a toothbrush and white vinegar, a quick rinse, then rub some dollar store athlete's for cream all over the shell... and repeat that process in 3 days.

Jamie
That is, Athletes Foot cream, like Lamisil but cheaper. Athletes Foot is a fungal infection too.

Nlou22

New Jersey

I would give the tort a soak in warm water, then a gentle scrub of the shell with a toothbrush and white vinegar, a quick rinse, then rub some dollar store athlete's for cream all over the shell... and repeat that process in 3 days.

Jamie
Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Everything Jsheffield said is right. It would help too for you to give us details of how you are keeping her, temps, humidity, lights, diet. Pictures of the enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that it looks like she'll fungus.
The athlete's foot cream is good to have in your care kit if you own a Redfoot Tortoise.
It's a relatively common issue for keepers trying to achieve high humidity but without constantly wet substrate.
What are you using for substrate?

Nlou22

New Jersey
I agree that it looks like she'll fungus.
The athlete's foot cream is good to have in your care kit if you own a Redfoot Tortoise.
It's a relatively common issue for keepers trying to achieve high humidity but without constantly wet substrate.
What are you using for substrate?
I have a mixture of cocohusk, spagnum moss, and large amount of cypress mulch on top. It’s a completely bioactive setup with a large drainage layer. I felt around the entire substrate and it does not feel moist or wet at all. However, I have a large water area (shallow water) that he loves to soak in multiple times throughout the day. Would this be causing the issue? Also here is an attached photo of the enclosure.

Attachments

• 8E0C7793-580C-44D0-A076-11E205933875.jpeg
    8E0C7793-580C-44D0-A076-11E205933875.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Nlou22

New Jersey
Everything Jsheffield said is right. It would help too for you to give us details of how you are keeping her, temps, humidity, lights, diet. Pictures of the enclosure.
Absolutely. Temp is always 75-85 during the day, never drops below 70 at nighttime. Humidity almost always between 75-95%, but my enclosure is closed top so it maintains that without having to make the enclosure soaking wet. As I mentioned earlier the substrate is not at all moist or wet, and feels overall very dry. Diet includes a large mix of greens, fruits, and occasionally commercial tortoise diet. I occasionally use calcium and multivitamin with his greens but could probably use it more often then I do. I have a ceramic heat emitter that I keep on for about six hours a day, and a uvb strip light that stays on for about 12 hours. He is very active, and has never turned down a meal. Again, he soaks himself in his water area multiple times throughout the day, is it fair to assume that this is probably the issue?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My guess is that the moss is holding in too much moisture and that is in constant contact with the shell plastron.
I'm sorry to say that for that reason and for the fact that Redfoot do eat moss and they cannot digest it I advocate removing 100% of the moss immediately.
And that sucks because that set up looks beautiful. But it's more suited for a poison dart frog than for a RF tortoise.
Use the bark substrate and pour a little water into the corners. The water will provide humidity as it evaporates and it'll leave the upper layer relatively dry. The shell needs to be allowed to dry at times. Constantly wet will cause the fungus thar you see.
You'll eventually get the feel for how much water/ how often and your humidity issue will become a simple task. But in the meantime keep that ATHLETES FOOT CREAM handy.

Last edited:

Nlou22

New Jersey
My guess is that the moss is holding in too much moisture and that is in constant contact with the shell plastron.
I'm sorry to say that for that reason and for the fact that Redfoot do eat moss and they cannot digest it I advocate removing 100% of the moss immediately.
And that sucks because that set up looks beautiful. But it's more suited for a poison dart frog than for a RF tortoise.
Use the bark substrate and pour a little water into the corners. The water will provide humidity as it evaporates and it'll leave the upper layer relatively dry. The shell needs to be allowed to dry at times. Constantly wet will cause the fungus thar you see.
You'll eventually get the feel for how much water/ how often and your humidity issue will become a simple task. But in the meantime keep that ATHLETES FOOT CREAM handy.
@ZEROPILOT
Thank you for the response. I will remove the spagnum moss and add more cypress to the top. But as I said before the substrate is overall very dry being that I have a large drainage layer underneath the substrate. He soaks in his water area very often, do you think this is the main issue?? The closed tank set up I have is able to maintain the humidity without having to water the setup often at all (maybe once a week just to keep the plants watered).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@ZEROPILOT
Thank you for the response. I will remove the spagnum moss and add more cypress to the top. But as I said before the substrate is overall very dry being that I have a large drainage layer underneath the substrate. He soaks in his water area very often, do you think this is the main issue?? The closed tank set up I have is able to maintain the humidity without having to water the setup often at all (maybe once a week just to keep the plants watered).
That fungus is caused by either being kept too wet or being kept in filth. And I don't think it's the latter.
Let's see if it doesn't just go away with treatment and removal of the moss.
BTW I use pure Orchid Bark from the Home Depot. The size is perfect. It's pure and it doesn't grow mold.

Nlou22

New Jersey
That fungus is caused by either being kept too wet or being kept in filth. And I don't think it's the latter.
Let's see if it doesn't just go away with treatment and removal of the moss.
BTW I use pure Orchid Bark from the Home Depot. The size is perfect. It's pure and it doesn't grow mold.
Perfect thank you