Possibly a radical idea?

aaronwells12

5 Year Member
I was thinking about growing a little mini garden in my Russian's indoor habitat... I thought that if I put some soil, and planted some seeds of the dense leafy greens he needs, it would be a good alternative to going out and buying it all the time, because kale can really start to smell!! lol! I would obviously plant it in the warm zone where I have the UVA/UVB mercury bulb, and fencing it off with something until the plants start to grow heartily... Opinions?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
not really radical at all lots of people do it. good idea

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
I was thinking about growing a little mini garden in my Russian's indoor habitat... I thought that if I put some soil, and planted some seeds of the dense leafy greens he needs, it would be a good alternative to going out and buying it all the time, because kale can really start to smell!! lol! I would obviously plant it in the warm zone where I have the UVA/UVB mercury bulb, and fencing it off with something until the plants start to grow heartily... Opinions?
I know I had a problem getting them to grow directly in an indoor habitat, I think you should grow the plants in trays or pots and then feed to the tortoise. The benefit to planting them In pots is when one gets eaten down you can put in another one, also you can put the plants out in natural light which benefits them greatly....your choice though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your tortoise will trample or eat the sprints in a day. Too small of an area.

Some forum members who are much more clever than I am came up with the idea to grow their greens in trays that drop into the substrate and rotate through multiple trays as needed. This way you can grow the trays outside, or wherever is convenient, and you can grow a wide variety of things, and simply pull one tray out when its all eaten, and replace it with another fresh tray. Or you could just put a different tray in every day. The stuff should grow back as long as the roots aren't ripped out.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I use the switch trays method, works pretty good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise will trample or eat the sprints in a day. Too small of an area.

Some forum members who are much more clever than I am came up with the idea to grow their greens in trays that drop into the substrate and rotate through multiple trays as needed. This way you can grow the trays outside, or wherever is convenient, and you can grow a wide variety of things, and simply pull one tray out when its all eaten, and replace it with another fresh tray. Or you could just put a different tray in every day. The stuff should grow back as long as the roots aren't ripped out.

SPROUTS, not sprints...

TBernagozzi

We have grass and a spring mix sprouting in our red foots tank. He munches on the grass all day!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sprouts don't last a day in my RF habitat. As soon as they are up they are munched or trampled. Even putting potted plants in the cage proved fatal immediately for the plants. They will push them over and strip them bare.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
H
Sprouts don't last a day in my RF habitat. As soon as they are up they are munched or trampled. Even putting potted plants in the cage proved fatal immediately for the plants. They will push them over and strip them bare.
Bare? Oh yeah now we're talking. Brown chicken brown cow