power outage...

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
first I apologize, I have asked this question before and can't find the thread with all the answers. . It's beginning to get chilly so winter storms are coming here in SC and the new baby Russian is planned to arrive the beginning of November, what is a good way to keep him warm enough if the power would ever go out? Fortunately I have gas heat but that doesn't help UVB or heat lamps...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
first I apologize, I have asked this question before and can't find the thread with all the answers. . It's beginning to get chilly so winter storms are coming here in SC and the new baby Russian is planned to arrive the beginning of November, what is a good way to keep him warm enough if the power would ever go out? Fortunately I have gas heat but that doesn't help UVB or heat lamps...
If your gas furnace depends on an electric fan... I still recommend a Mr. Heater or two for keeping warm...and what more experienced members recommend for using your lamps for a baby in a power outage.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
@jsheffield just had a post about this very topic... It was fairly easy to but together and extremely interesting. I'm sure he can link you to it faster than I can.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Sounds like you’re doing great! Keep in mind that in the native territory Russians (even babies) are built to deal with massive temperature swings.

You wouldn’t want them cold for days on end but a short cold spell should be fine, so long as you keep them dry.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Sounds like you’re doing great! Keep in mind that in the native territory Russians (even babies) are built to deal with massive temperature swings.

You wouldn’t want them cold for days on end but a short cold spell should be fine, so long as you keep them dry.
oh my gosh...I've never heard that... you are an angel!! I've only heard, hot, hot, hot...humid humid humid lol. I could just take him out of his damp enclosure and put him in a dry one if needed. I've been racking my brain how to keep him toasty at night in the winter when his basking light goes out...I bought a ceramic heat emitter and it doesnt seem to be doing much, any suggestions there?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I've been racking my brain how to keep him toasty at night in the winter when his basking light goes out...I bought a ceramic heat emitter and it doesnt seem to be doing much, any suggestions there?

Is his heat emitter keeping the area in the high fifties or low sixties? If so, that should be adequate in the short run. Sixty-five is what is usually recommended on average.

Do you have an electronic heat gun? It is the best indicator of surface temps and will likely make you feel better. Or at least give you something to do! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Is his heat emitter keeping the area in the high fifties or low sixties? If so, that should be adequate in the short run. Sixty-five is what is usually recommended on average.

Do you have an electronic heat gun? It is the best indicator of surface temps and will likely make you feel better. Or at least give you something to do! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20.
I'm not sure, I'm going to put the substrate in this weekend so I can get accurate readings on surface temp. I do have the heat gun!! I want to check the area where I'm hoping her will sleep to st what temps I'm getting from the heat emitter

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My russian likes the new winter indoor enclosure. 70 on the outer edge with a nice warm rock at 95- big piece of slate under a CHE. Goes back and forth and superman basks. Eats like its going out of style so no Brumination

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
My russian likes the new winter indoor enclosure. 70 on the outer edge with a nice warm rock at 95- big piece of slate under a CHE. Goes back and forth and superman basks. Eats like its going out of style so no Brumination
I keep my house toasty in the winter, but his enclosure being damp is what I was concerned about. We can't wait to meet him!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have Cypress mulch that I add some water to and the enclosure stays at 80%. The top of the cypress is fairly dry. It is in my Basement (think more of a dungeon) so humidty is not a problem

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It does just gets silly messy. Tom suggested Fir Bark (sold in pet stores as Repti-Bark) and it is awesome just a wicked price point. It holds moisture and has almost no mess because of the size. I am trying to find a local supplier that has the bigger bags not the small Orchid Bark at Home Depot. There is an Orchid Grower/Retail in Charlottesville that I need to call.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
It does just gets silly messy. Tom suggested Fir Bark (sold in pet stores as Repti-Bark) and it is awesome just a wicked price point. It holds moisture and has almost no mess because of the size. I am trying to find a local supplier that has the bigger bags not the small Orchid Bark at Home Depot. There is an Orchid Grower/Retail in Charlottesville that I need to call.
there is so much to learn lol

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I use the coconut coir as my substrates with some fir bark in part of the enclosure. I like it. I keep it damp and it works great for me.
I think we all over think at the beginning. I certainly did! You will do fine. You care and are here on this forum. It is a learning experience for sure. I am still learning but not stressing as I did at first. You're getting a well started baby from Carol S. I got mine from her and she is doing very well. She is 16 mos going on 17 mos old now and loves to eat and sleep, walk around eat and sleep, walk around, etc. Wishing the very best for you.