Powersun Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hello All,

I have a powerson 100w bulb for my hatchling Cherry Head, my question is does this bulb emit enough UV needed for my little one? If not ill make the investment in a hood for tube bulbs, just dont want to do so if its not necessary. Thanks for any info!!

TZ

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Yes it does. The short fall of these is the low CRI (see the link below). They act great as UVB & basking bulbs but they wouldn't be the best bulb to light the entire enclosure with. In fact, I can't think of any UVB bulb that is truly "full spectrum" and good for exclusive illumination of enclosures. Many of us choose to use a strip UVB bulb (Zoo Med reptisun, etc.) in combination with some small halogen bulbs or non-UV emitting strip bulbs with better CRI's.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20621.html#axzz1YX1Vao9m
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-26983.html - discussion thread about Balboa's article

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Thanks much, lots of reading to do, lol. Im pretty new at this, and want to make sure my little ones grows healthy. She seems happy in here little world there, just want to make sure shes getting her UV. Ive got a few other "noob" questions ill be posting in a bit..Thanks for the info and links :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Nothing can beat good ol' sunlight. It's free and contains all the UVB and UVA necessary for healthy and happy tortoises.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Nothing can beat good ol' sunlight. It's free and contains all the UVB and UVA necessary for healthy and happy tortoises.

Yep, its still a bit too cold in NJ for her to be outside, another few week and it should be ok. Her terrarium in just next to a window so she does get indirect sunlight. I also have a baby pool im gonna use for a playpen for her to hang outside on the patio with us once it warm enough for her.

To further my lighting question, i went to petsmart today and looked at bulbs. I do know the coil bulbs are not good, but i saw a compact fluorescent, is this one considered safe? Thanks again!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/TommyZ13/20130415_160936.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Caveat: I don't own any of the bulbs you have pictured but I do have some thoughts:

So long as you orient that bulb horizontally, it would probably be okay (like in a fishtank hood). If you put it in a standard brooder-style lamp, I'd say it's not good because you'll be focusing a beam of UVB into a tighter area.

If it were me, I'd take it back and invest in the long style tubes. I hope others with experience with these bulbs can give you testimonies & opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.