Pre-Forum Throwback

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I was recently looking at some pictures of my Russian tortoise Mzee, who's been part of the family for about 6.5 years now, and yet again realized how great this forum truly is. When I first got her, I was a relatively uneducated owner, learning everything from the breeder, pet stores, and older books. Her diet consisted mainly of lettuce, frozen veggies, and Mazuri type pellets and she only got outside for a couple hours every week. Coupled with the fact that Mzee has the appetite of a shark, she grew way too quickly (even though she was already an adult), and had a huge yellow growth band around her shell and in-between individual scutes (occasionally even a little dried blood was visible where the large band was).

Once I joined the forum, I quickly found out much of what I thought I knew was outdated information, and various members helped point out what needed to be changed. Unfortunately her exterior appearance was irreversible, but I learned I could prevent any further abnormal growth and was assured with the appropriate care she'd be healthy again.

Well it's been three years since then, and as far as I can see, she sure does look a whole lot better thanks to all the information and guidance the great tortoise-loving people on this forum have provided.

December 2011: large white-yellow growth bands, overgrown beak, aspen bedding
IMG_3128.jpg
December 2014: Growth bands will never completely go away, but they have gained a healthy gold/brown color and further growth has stopped. With a consistent diet of various weeds and greens, her beak stays at a good length with trimmings once a year. And the biggest improvement has been the outdoor enclosure she's used for the past few years during the Spring/Summer/Fall.
IMG_3129.jpg Mzee.jpg