Pregnant???

Please help. We recently bought a breeder pair of tortoise. We bought them yesterday. She's been in a pet store all her life and was used to laying eggs on the floor. We saved them and moved them into our house. She is sitting still and sloshy noises have been going on for hours. She hasn't dug holes but she only got her yesterday and she's never been on dirt. She hasn't moved and its dark. The male is already asleep. If she's pregnant how long do we have to buy an incubator? We where planning to have eggs but I wanted some time to find out the majors of babies. Please right me a good amount.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sloshy noises. Are you sure she is not digging a hole? They only use their back legs to dig and they will pee in the dirt they are digging in. When my leopard does this, the sloshy noise is the dirt she has peed on and the digging of it.
If she is doing this, it takes a while for them to dig. If it's not just a test hole, she should start laying sometime tonight.

The sloshy noises. Are you sure she is not digging a hole? They only use their back legs to dig and they will pee in the dirt they are digging in. When my leopard does this, the sloshy noise is the dirt she has peed on and the digging of it.
If she is doing this, it takes a while for them to dig. If it's not just a test hole, she should start laying sometime tonight.
No deffinitly not she has no hole but she was never introduced to dirt. She was held in a glass 3 by 3 foot box. She is 15 inches. She has layer her eggs without court in the pet store we saved them from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I see that you already have a RF and a Hermanns, so what species is the new pair? You say she's 15". Is that a front to back, straight line measurement? Then I'm guessing they're sulcatas?

I haven't a clue what the sound is that you're hearing. Can't you do a little investigating and try to figure it out?

She just stopped sloshy noise ( about 2 - 4 ) hours of that noise. Her tail is now fat and touching the ground...

Well, I see that you already have a RF and a Hermanns, so what species is the new pair? You say she's 15". Is that a front to back, straight line measurement? Then I'm guessing they're sulcatas?

I haven't a clue what the sound is that you're hearing. Can't you do a little investigating and try to figure it out?
Cherry headed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we please see pictures of the tortoises and their enclosure?

Sorry its a new encluser and Kind of Baden. The female is 12" sorry and the male is 18".

IMG_20160301_194549.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, they don't communicate to each other in that way. You may hear a male vocalize during breeding, but that's about it.

Could she possibly have a respiratory infection?

Well we need to take her to a check up but we only got her yesterday and thewhistley might be her pulsating her body parts.

Like when they suck in and that nose of the air but with a higher pitch because she isn't doing it as fast?

She has never made this sound ever before. I also just tuerned the lights off because she normally goes to bed when the light are out. I'll see if she moves

Don't worry she doesn't seem to be pregnant now she got up and moved and started sleeping. Maybe such a thing as false labor thanks for the help and no worries.