pregnant

JasperFossils

Location (City and/or State)
Holland
I think my 8 yr old thb is gravid. she was gaining weight rapidly too. today she is walking around my enclosure. she is walking back and forth and you can see she is looking. I think she is gravid. what do y'all think?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Has she been digging in her substrate and trying to lay?
If you post pictures of her enclosure with a video of her someone with experience of egg laying behaviour will be able to help.
It may be worth having an x-ray to see if she is egg bound as that can be dangerous for her, but wait and see what others say after posting pics/video.- I'll tag a few more knowledgeable members -
@Yvonne @Tom @zovick

JasperFossils

Holland
Has she been digging in her substrate and trying to lay?
If you post pictures of her enclosure with a video of her someone with experience of egg laying behaviour will be able to help.
It may be worth having an x-ray to see if she is egg bound as that can be dangerous for her, but wait and see what others say after posting pics/video.- I'll tag a few more knowledgeable members -
@Yvonne @Tom @zovick
i don't really have substrate for them to dig in. that's also why I asked, I have some sand lying around though, so I can make a place to dig. I can't upload a video here.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
i don't really have substrate for them to dig in. that's also why I asked, I have some sand lying around though, so I can make a place to dig. I can't upload a video here.
If she is carrying eggs she needs substrate because her instinct will be to bury them which is maybe why she is pacing. Sand is not recommended for torts because it can get on food and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very dangerous for her.
What species is she? I think your avatar shows a Hermanns so this is the caresheet you need to make sure she is as safe and happy as possible
If you can post a photo of her and the enclosure and lamps you are using we can help you make sure you are giving her the best chance of a safe and healthy life.

JasperFossils

Holland
If she is carrying eggs she needs substrate because her instinct will be to bury them which is maybe why she is pacing. Sand is not recommended for torts because it can get on food and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very dangerous for her.
What species is she? I think your avatar shows a Hermanns so this is the caresheet you need to make sure she is as safe and happy as possible
If you can post a photo of her and the enclosure and lamps you are using we can help you make sure you are giving her the best chance of a safe and healthy life.
yes she is thb. the picture is her. to describe what she was doing: walking around the edges (sometimes 10 minutes back and forth on one 3 m wall) looking like she was looking for something or if she was trying to escape. no. she hasn't switched enclosures recently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a female tortoise can't find the right spot to dig a nest she may become egg bound. This could be dangerous for her health. I suggest you read that care sheet linked for you above and make some changes to your tortoise's enclosure sooner rather than later. Any chance you can set her up outside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yes I have a 7year old male. I have seen them mating this year multiple times.
Then you need a large enclosure, preferably outside, with lots of deep natural substrate for a female to dig into to lay her eggs. Sand is not sufficient or safe, nor does it hold the shape of a nest when they dig in it.

If your outdoor temps are too cool, then set up a cold frame, and a heated shelter.

Failure to provide a suitable laying area will likely result in the death of your female.

JasperFossils

Holland
Then you need a large enclosure, preferably outside, with lots of deep natural substrate for a female to dig into to lay her eggs. Sand is not sufficient or safe, nor does it hold the shape of a nest when they dig in it.

If your outdoor temps are too cool, then set up a cold frame, and a heated shelter.

Failure to provide a suitable laying area will likely result in the death of your female.
i have a large enclosure. ca 50 m2 its outside. there aren't. good laying places. how can I make them?

JasperFossils

Holland

how deep does it need to be? I already have a cold frame and their shelter has capability to be heated

zovick

10 Year Member!
how deep does it need to be? I already have a cold frame and their shelter has capability to be heated
The depth would need to be about 30 to 40 cm or a bit more. Tortoises normally need soil in which to lay eggs. Loose sand is not conducive to digging a good tortoise nest.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is there any soil at all in the enclosure that you could loosen to enable her to dig?

JasperFossils

Holland

what substrate must I use for her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what substrate must I use for her?
I've never kept adult females in anything other than large outdoor pens with natural earth under them, so I am not the best person to ask. My females just sniff around and dig a nest hole anywhere that suits them in the enclosure. There are many people here and in Europe that keep and breed tortoises indoors, and they would have first hand info about works best for this situation.

The advice from @zovick above is golden.

Hopefully other indoor breeders will read this and respond.