Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
I like bulb plants, they attract a lot of snails.

Really? They don't attract the tiny ones we have here. Your lucky you have those larger ones, I am jealous. :D

pdrobber said:
anyone watching the tree lighting?

At the White House or Rockefeller (spelling?) Center or ???

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pdrobber said:
yeah they just lit it at rockefeller center.

Do the lights all come on at once or does it like start at the bottom and turn on going upward?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
as they count down from 5, at 3 theres just some white flashing lights all over the tree then at 1 they stop, and 0 all the color LEDs come on and then a second later the big star lights up. it'll stay lit until jan 7th I think. I don't think it ever turns off from now until that day.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
pdrobber said:
as they count down from 5, at 3 theres just some white flashing lights all over the tree then at 1 they stop, and 0 all the color LEDs come on and then a second later the big star lights up. it'll stay lit until jan 7th I think. I don't think it ever turns off from now until that day.

I did not watch it but plan to see it soon. I love this time of year!! Especially in the northeast!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Jacqui said:
The Advent calenders must be a lot more popular over there.

My fingers are itching and it is so hard to keep from rubbing them. I had to dig up this little spot in one of the tortoises pens and never thought about bringing my gloves with me. As I was moving the dirt around, I realized the weed plant I had in my hand to toss in the garbage was a stinging nettle. The entire area was actually filled with them. Well they let me know how happy they were with being killed off, by stinging me. :(

I think im pretty much immune to them now....
When i was a wee boy....I fell into a field full of them face first i was 10 i fell off a wall......then i got stung all over the face,legs,hands and then i rolled and got them on my back......
Now i pick them up bare-handed and i get stings but it does not bother me in the slightest i forget about it.....
Get a Dock leaf! ! !

Morning TFO 1st December!
Chocolate=eaten
Decorations up today! :) mum starts tree at 10am and finishes messing with it at 10pm :p takes it down and puts it back up x10 times! :p
Our decorations are black and silver this year! :)
My things of ebay are due today! :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good Morning TFO!!!

Ty, I wish Josh could be immune, but the only immunity he has found is to leave those areas for Mom to do (or atleast the thick areas of nettles). For me with the poison ivy, I still manage to end up with the juice on my hands and then I must rub my face accidentally to get hair out of my eyes, and thus spread it to the face. Then I end up with my eyes at times almost to the point of being swollen shut. :(

So Ty, you guys get new decorations each year to make it a certain color pattern?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good morning/afternoon/evening!
I don't think we have stinging nettles in our yard, and I am glad of it after hearing your experiences!
Ty, your Xmas tree sounds beautiful. We just use the same old decorations every year.
We are having clear weather for several days! Not warm enough for the torts (40's), but nice to be out in.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I still don't have an advent calender :( It's highly upsetting! Normally I have about 3 but this year none! I don't think anyone loves me anymore!

At least it's only 8 days till motley crue!!!!! :D Am so excited and my friends coming to stay with me and we're going to go together, get drunk and just have a good time! haha!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I could send you one, of course I don't know how well the chocolate inside would travel in the mail.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Yayyyy!! Someone does care about me and my not getting chocolate everyday for 25 days!
I do not care about the state of the chocolate, as long as it is still edible I will eat it :p!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Jacqui it depends on colour off our lounge at the time! :)

Heres some pics off my xmas tree.......not the best but hey it's a tree!

Before anything was upon the tree...
IMG20111201_001.jpg

Just lights on the tree....
IMG20111201_002.jpg

Couple of baubles...
IMG20111201_003.jpg

Ribbon....Angel....Baubles....Tassles.....
IMG20111201_004.jpg

IMG20111201_005.jpg

In the dark complete...
IMG20111201_006.jpg

In the light complete....
IMG20111201_007.jpg

Lounge decorated....Kitchen getting decorated.....Hallway last! :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
stephiiberrybean said:
Wow. Nice tree Ty.

I'm decorating my stables this weekend! *does a little dance* getting all festive with the ponies!

Thankyou.....
I'm sure your ponies will appreciate that....is it for your benefit or for theres! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whew! Did I ever escape the big one!!

During the night I woke up to a terrible wind blowing outside. Terrible, awful, tree-limb breaking wind! I couldn't sleep, so I got up and read some of the threads here, then went back to bed. When I woke up this a.m. the power was out. Thank goodness it wasn't really that cold, but the wind was blowing like crazy. I had visions of calling my son-in-law to come help me round up all the tortoises and bring them inside by the wood stove. Then I thought, "no, you'll be doing it by yourself because when the power is out your cordless phone doesn't work." But because it really wasn't all that cold, I just let it be.

It came back on about a half hour ago.

Can you imagine those LARGE tortoises in front of my wood stove? In the first place, how would I even get the Aldabrans over their fence to bring them inside?

I've lived here for around 15 years. And in that time the power has gone off occasionally, but never for any length of time. I think the longest was about 6 hours. So I really don't think it would be worthwhile to buy a generator (can't afford it anyway). But I AM going to look into seeing if I can change out my solar system to the kind that still works when the power is out. I may be able to add that onto my existing loan.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So Ty is a lounge what would be equal to our front rooms? Where the couches and such are. Or is this a room for the TV watching? Which you can watch a TV in the front room too. :D

Steph so do you make all the decorations for the stables out of things the ponies can eat?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
stephiiberrybean said:
Theirs, obviously! Duhhh... Ponies love getting all christmassy ;)

I can imagine,

Yes a lounge/Living room is the same as a front room with a Tv jacqui! ;)

Yvonne, i was speaking to someone on facebook and they was saying that too.....you in california? :)

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Jacqui said:
Steph so do you make all the decorations for the stables out of things the ponies can eat?

No. I use normal decorations around the outside of my little courtyard/stables. Where ponies can't reach them unless supervised. (Although ponies tend to be sensible anyway and not actually eat them!) and then sometimes I'll put carrots and apples and edible pony things on a string and hang them around, it's a bit like a game for them then too :) A christmas treat game! They enjoy it and it only happens at christmas.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
You meen the ponies do that to you blind fold you then whip you till you reach the carrot! ;)
Whip=Tinsil! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.