Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So last night I get a phone call asking me if I take in tortoises. I assured her that I do. She said she found two that she thought were African sulcatas. We chatted a bit and later in the conversation she said we're keeping the big one.

Its a fishy story and I don't know what I'll be getting later on today...two "found" sulcatas or two sulcatas that became too much trouble to care for.

Stay tuned...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am guessing your getting one sulcata that they no longer want. It will have been picked on by the bigger male. Will be pyramided, too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Good guess, Jacqui...but no enchilada!

They're neither "found" nor badly pyramided. Here's one picture and the link to the thread in "adoptions" where I posted their story:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Two-4-yr-old-sulcatas#axzz1X0VYXxbt

rescue41429-4-11d.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's good because I am not a fan of enchiladas. :p :D

Usually I go for the smaller animal, but this time I'd be taking the bigger one. :cool:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Fall is certainly in the air. This morning I saw my first flock of geese flying over head. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whew its a hot one today. Close to 100 degrees. Dudley is out marching around the perimeter of his pen and he keeps trying to climb into the pen where the new babies are (another reason I THINK they're female). Both the aldabs are smart enough to be in their cool shed out of the sun. I was reading, but had to go out and move the sprinkler. Then I thought I'd check in to see how y'all's days are going.

I stopped at der Wienie dog on the way home from the store and got two chilli-cheese dogs. Yum!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Fall...damn! Today only one boxie came over to eat. They are slowing down now. The inside boxies don't have a clue as to what's going on and are still eating away. All but a few flowers are starting to get leggy and brownish. I hate this time of year.....on a happier note..........my sister is giveing me a baby box turtle from Chris Leone (HermanniChris) for my birthday. Very high color it looks like. I can't wait...should come Wed. Something to play with while everyone else is hibernating.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Whew its a hot one today. Close to 100 degrees. Dudley is out marching around the perimeter of his pen and he keeps trying to climb into the pen where the new babies are (another reason I THINK they're female). Both the aldabs are smart enough to be in their cool shed out of the sun. I was reading, but had to go out and move the sprinkler. Then I thought I'd check in to see how y'all's days are going.

I stopped at der Wienie dog on the way home from the store and got two chilli-cheese dogs. Yum!

I am celebrating that the weather is nice and only 77 today. Of course the flies think because it is cooler out, that it is time to move back inside. Swarms of them. :D ...and they are biting! :(

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am gonna go home and make French Onion soup.

I cut up like half an onion, and caramelize it in real butter. Then I add a splash of cooking sherry because it enhances the sweetness of the onion and brings all the bubbly little bits up off the bottom of the pan. Then a couple splashed of heavy cream, let it reduce on medium heat for about two minutes. Add a cup and a half of au jus, let simmer on medium for 3-5 minutes and you have just made fantastic French Onion.

Toast a piece of dense bread, toss it on top of the bowl. Put on a piece of muenster cheese, sprinkle with paprika and toast until bubbly under the broiler in your oven. You can use a torch too. I like to do it that way in the summer so I don't make the house all hot with the oven.

I rarely give up my secrets so consider yourselves lucky :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Fall...damn! Today only one boxie came over to eat. They are slowing down now. The inside boxies don't have a clue as to what's going on and are still eating away. All but a few flowers are starting to get leggy and brownish. I hate this time of year.....on a happier note..........my sister is giveing me a baby box turtle from Chris Leone (HermanniChris) for my birthday. Very high color it looks like. I can't wait...should come Wed. Something to play with while everyone else is hibernating.

My kind of gift! Can't wait to see pictures of it. :D

FranklinTturtle said:
My neighbor is grilling steak. I am so jealous!!!!

Bet that smells yummy!!!!

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Kristina said:

I cut up like half an onion, and caramelize it in real butter. Then I add a splash of cooking sherry because it enhances the sweetness of the onion and brings all the bubbly little bits up off the bottom of the pan. Then a couple splashed of heavy cream, let it reduce on medium heat for about two minutes. Add a cup and a half of au jus, let simmer on medium for 3-5 minutes and you have just made fantastic French Onion.

Toast a piece of dense bread, toss it on top of the bowl. Put on a piece of muenster cheese, sprinkle with paprika and toast until bubbly under the broiler in your oven. You can use a torch too. I like to do it that way in the summer so I don't make the house all hot with the oven.

Thank that sounds great. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I going to try it if you don't mind.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Kristina said:

Whoa! You can cook,too! Makes me hungry,reading about your au gratin onion soup. MMMM Hint: just a pinch of sugar sprinkled over the onions makes them caramelize really nicely.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I *LOVE* love love love to cook! (And I happen to be pretty darn good at it!) That is the one thing my husband hates most about me working nights - I'm not home to make dinner! ;)

One of his favorites was when I woke him up one morning with homemade caramel sauce tossed with banana slices and poured over Texas French toast with cinnamon and ginger ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
I *LOVE* love love love to cook! (And I happen to be pretty darn good at it!) That is the one thing my husband hates most about me working nights - I'm not home to make dinner! ;)

One of his favorites was when I woke him up one morning with homemade caramel sauce tossed with banana slices and poured over Texas French toast with cinnamon and ginger ;)

Sounds kinda good.

Status
Not open for further replies.