pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
If the kids had no school I could call and say, sorry the kids are home from school so I can't come in :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
If the kids had no school I could call and say, sorry the kids are home from school so I can't come in :)

Hmmm would you let the kids get away with something like that? :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When we were growing up, my Mother never wanted us to miss any school. She would wait until we have a vacation day and schedule appointments for us then. I recall a Christmas vacation, where we went present shopping right after I had a cavity filled. Also a camping trip, where the day before we left for it, she had them remove a huge wart from the bottom of my foot. But I never missed a day of school for those appointments. ;) :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No offense to any teachers but I considered school a waste of time, I knew how to read before I entered kindergarten, I was taught at home,and when I learn how and what kids are being taught today, it amazes and shocks me.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
No offense to any teachers but I considered school a waste of time, I knew how to read before I entered kindergarten, I was taught at home,and when I learn how and what kids are being taught today, it amazes and shocks me.

What things amaze and shock you?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
how they are being taught to spell for one

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Geesh starting to feel like I am in a dentist office...

What is wrong with how they are being taught to spell?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Okay, I survived the dentist but I did jump every time they touched me.

I might have to disagree with David. I love both my kid's school's and am amazed what they are able to learn at such a young age. For instance, my 5 year old will learn thing's this year in only 1/2 day kindergarten that I did not learn until third grade and my 7th grader's reading list is comparable to the one I had when I was a senior in high school! I am very lucky because I did not like the school's where we used to live so we researched and moved to the area that we thought had the best school's in the state. We have not been disappointed!! Rob is awesome because he has to commute an hour or more everyday because I want to live here and he never complains.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think science amazes me. I can't wrap my brain around how they know what a calorie is, how they come up w/ meds that help cure you. How did they pinpoint a part of the body to help. For example a heart meds that only help your heart, cholesterol meds that remove plaque from your veins, or when they look at your blood they can determine what is going on in your body. That amazes me.
Now if they could only come up w/ a breast cancer cure!

Another thing. The people who are dare devils. They can do tricks on their dirt/street bikes, or any crazy extreme sport.

One thing that shocks me is how people can hurt there own children. I won't go there but there is so much in the news about killing or hurting their own kids. I know some probably have mental issues. It just makes me sick.
These are just some things that come to mind. Who's next?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always been impressed, I mean, really, really impressed by the internal combustion engine. Who would have ever thought that you could put a metal cylinder in a tube, have it go up and down real fast, compress gasoline to an explosion and make a car go. And all the little piece parts that it takes to make the whole thing work. Absolutely AMAZING!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Oh, I agree w/ you Yvonne. I wonder that too. Or factories machines. How do they build those to make one certain thing perfectly. All those mechanical arms, conveyer belts etc. Or how they build huge dams like Hoover.

Ok, I'm off to the thrift stores to buy a book shelf to turn into a tortoise table.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
I am amazed by everything. How does a cell phone work? How does the remote works on the TV? and also how I can type something on the internet in South Carolina and it can be read any where in the world. Thank god for intelligent people. It's odd to me that things can happen in mid air and I cannot see it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sure am enjoying these nice days of temps only in the upper 70s. :)

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
I think electricity is strange. Its good stuff, yet evil....

and thus our 25 minutes continue.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I understand how water turns into ice, but I am still amazed by it.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
who was the cruel person who decided the word lisp had to have an S in it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
dmmj said:
I understand how water turns into ice, but I am still amazed by it.
The way adding salt to ice makes it colder does the same thing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.