Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
CtTortoiseMom said:
Guggie said:
Chicago is being smoked out by forest fires in Minnesota. How messed up is that? My wife is scratchy and congested, and I have a horrible taste in my mouth. Yuck!

That is unreal!! I hope they get those fires out and you and your wife feel better soon!!

I feel fine - my wife, not so. She could have a cold with bad timing, but it's tough to tell. Thx for the wishes.

CtTortoiseMom said:
I was thinking about getting gas. I am so horrified to think I will hear them taking a tooth out!

Good Morning!!!! I hope everyone has a great day!!!

That's the one thing about having impacted teeth ... I was put out like a light. It took me 3 - 4 days to start looking somewhat normal, but at least I wasn't awake for it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Omg, I was checking the 10 day forecast and this might be Chewy's last day out until the spring! Sid and Leia have a couple week's left and they will be in for good as well. They all have to come in at night because it is expected to drop into the 30's over the next few day's. So that's it. Fall is here:(

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I saw that too, Erin. Looks like an early fall for the northeast. The highs for Saturday & Sunday are in the mid-60's.... sadddd timesss. :(

CtTortoiseMom said:
Omg, I was checking the 10 day forecast and this might be Chewy's last day out until the spring! Sid and Leia have a couple week's left and they will be in for good as well. They all have to come in at night because it is expected to drop into the 30's over the next few day's. So that's it. Fall is here:(

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Yea I heard that Anthony the only reason I think it is sad because my box turtle is going to hibernate but rather than that I love it. Thank the LORD. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I got all the tortoises and turtles rounded up and inside, plus covered a few outside plants just in case the uppers 30s drop a bit lower tonight.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
It's 63 & raining right now! Hard to believe that in another 6wks I will be WISHING that it was 63 degrees outside! Looks like I'll be "burning the UVB/CHE candle" for the next few days. Do you have your turtles all tucked in, Christian??

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
AnthonyC said:
It's 63 & raining right now! Hard to believe that in another 6wks I will be WISHING that it was 63 degrees outside! Looks like I'll be "burning the UVB/CHE candle" for the next few days. Do you have your turtles all tucked in, Christian??

It is still sunny here!! I put everyone out for breakfast. But now the wind is picking up and the temp is down in the low 60's so I lugged everyone in :(.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't believe some of you already have Autumn-type weather. Its still pretty hot here. I don't usually have all my winterizing done with the plants and animals until the end of October.

Right now my big project is putting a new roof on my car port. The existing roof is plywood with asphalt roll-roofing material over that. The support stringers (2x8's) are in good shape except for two with dry rot, so I'm tearing off the plywood. Then I'm going to cut 2x4's to fit between the 2x8's for supports, and over the top I'm putting the corrugated fiber-glass roofing. My across-the-street neighbor is a house husband and home all the time, but he's slightly disabled and can't work too long, besides that, he has a 3yr old daughter that has to be minded. Anyway, he's doing the demo when he can. I've got about half the 2x4's painted. Figured it would be easier to paint them before installation. I'd like to get it finished before the rainy season because though I call it a car port, it really houses my winter time tortoise houses, not cars.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
30 degrees? I get cold when the temps dip down to 70.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
emysemys said:
I can't believe some of you already have Autumn-type weather. Its still pretty hot here. I don't usually have all my winterizing done with the plants and animals until the end of October.

Right now my big project is putting a new roof on my car port. The existing roof is plywood with asphalt roll-roofing material over that. The support stringers (2x8's) are in good shape except for two with dry rot, so I'm tearing off the plywood. Then I'm going to cut 2x4's to fit between the 2x8's for supports, and over the top I'm putting the corrugated fiber-glass roofing. My across-the-street neighbor is a house husband and home all the time, but he's slightly disabled and can't work too long, besides that, he has a 3yr old daughter that has to be minded. Anyway, he's doing the demo when he can. I've got about half the 2x4's painted. Figured it would be easier to paint them before installation. I'd like to get it finished before the rainy season because though I call it a car port, it really houses my winter time tortoise houses, not cars.
Yvonne
You always have fun projects going on. I love big projects going on around the house. That when I am at my happiest.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow Yvonne that is a lot of work!! I would love if our cold season started at the end of October! Unfortunately, I alway's have to get the kid's new thermal underwear to go under their Halloween costumes because God forbid I try to cover up a costume with a winter coat!

M

Maggie Cummings

The leaves are falling off the trees and it barely hit 70 today. It's been getting pretty cold at night too. I hate to lose my Morning Glories as they are blooming like crazy.. Bob is staying inside more often then going out, so that's always how I know winter is on it's way...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FranklinTturtle said:
Yvonne
You always have fun projects going on. I love big projects going on around the house. That when I am at my happiest.

Me too. Without some big project or another, all I do is sit and vegetate. I've got hundreds of books and I've re-read most of them more than once (the ONLY good thing about getting older - memory loss).

MarkE

5 Year Member
It was 40 degrees in Chicago suburbs this morning.. BBrrrrrrr.... Nice sleeping weather (for humans) though.. My Sulcata "Big Mama" is gonna be mad. I just got here 2 weeks ago, and have been lucky enough to have her outside alot... Now... Not so much...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
MarkE said:
It was 40 degrees in Chicago suburbs this morning.. BBrrrrrrr.... Nice sleeping weather (for humans) though.. My Sulcata "Big Mama" is gonna be mad. I just got here 2 weeks ago, and have been lucky enough to have her outside alot... Now... Not so much...

We brought our big sully in because it is supposed to drop into the 30's for the next 2 nights. He grazed in the rain today like he knew time was running out!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Well it is very cold here for the weekend. Thank the LORD. :D

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
emysemys said:
FranklinTturtle said:
Yvonne

Me too. Without some big project or another, all I do is sit and vegetate. I've got hundreds of books and I've re-read most of them more than once (the ONLY good thing about getting older - memory loss).
That funny I love the memory loss thing. I had never thought about it that way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
memory loss means you meet new friends every day (the same ones)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except that I live in a cave and don't get to see many people unless I go to the store or the gas station. However, there's always a 'new' clerk to ring up my groceries. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.