Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
That sounds really scary!! I am sorry that happened to you!! I cannot think of a single neighbor of mine that I would like to see in their boxers so that sounds scary as well! I hope you have a great Saturday!
:D Yeah that just might be the worst part of the entire deal! :D

cherylim said:
Just thought I'd jump on in to see how everyone is today!

I've had a busy day today! I've booked my wedding, I've been to a Body Shop party, I've made a decision about my tortoise (getting it on Friday morning!), and tonight I get chicken and chips, a hot chocolate and Doctor Who.

So when is the wedding going to be? Now don't leave us hanging, we want more details on this tortoise. :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
So when is the wedding going to be? Now don't leave us hanging, we want more details on this tortoise. :D

The wedding's on June 1st 2013. Some way off, but I'm excited of course!

With regards to the tortoise, as many know I did a lot of research into breeders as I wanted one from a breeder rather than a pet shop. Only one breeder made the effort to respond to me, and we were in discussion with a view to me getting a tortoise at the end of this month. Then, all communication stopped. I had told the breeder I understood she was busy when she'd apologised for not sending a photograph one day, and I said I didn't mind waiting but when more than a week had passed with no further communication I began to feel a little let down. I sent another e-mail a few days ago just to ask if she had any more idea of when she could send me a photo or deliver my new tortoise, but still had no response.

I know she's been online pretty much every day over the past week and a bit (she's a respected breeder, so she's on all the tortoise websites I've been researching in recent weeks), but she hasn't replied to me and I couldn't be waiting forever with no news about whether or not I could get my tortoise, so I began looking elsewhere.

As it is, I've now found a pet shop within an hour of my house that have a Hermann's tortoise I can buy. Clearly, the breeder is very busy, and I am too, so I've decided to cut my losses and buy from the pet shop. Perhaps I've been impatient, but considering she'd been online a lot, had previously been quite quick at responding to my e-mails, and now hadn't even found the time to send a one-sentence e-mail letting me know things were going ahead my concerns got the better of me.

Rather than being a 2011 hatchling as planned, my new tortoise will be 2009 hatched, but hopefully in good health. I'm booking Friday off work and heading to collect her in the morning.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
cherylim said:
Just thought I'd jump on in to see how everyone is today!

I've had a busy day today! I've booked my wedding, I've been to a Body Shop party, I've made a decision about my tortoise (getting it on Friday morning!), and tonight I get chicken and chips, a hot chocolate and Doctor Who.

+1 on Dr. Who, hot chocolate, and chicken & chips. Congrats on the progress with your wedding planning!!!

Jacqui said:
Darn, I hadn't thought of that. I just have a hard time remembering how much you can do and find out online. :rolleyes: I did look up their website and it didn't do much for me. So between that, the mileage, and just plain not feeling real fantastic these last couple of days, I decided not to go.

I hope you get back to feeling like your fantastic self very soon, Jacqui!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cheryl:

I think you're better off with the older tortoise anyway. Babies are sometimes hard to keep alive during their first year. Congrats on both your wedding and the tortoise.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
emysemys said:
Hi Cheryl:

I think you're better off with the older tortoise anyway. Babies are sometimes hard to keep alive during their first year. Congrats on both your wedding and the tortoise.

Thanks! Yes, I imagine that will be the case. I started wanting a 2011 hatchling to bring up from a young age, but the more I thought about it the more I realised it should outlive me anyway, why worry about those two years?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you made the right move, with going to the Pet shop. I would be thinking if it were me, that the breeder perhaps no longer had any tortoises for sale. Friday we are expecting some pictures, okay?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
CtTortoiseMom said:
Torty Mom said:
We got a thunder and lightening storm last night that was so bad it knocked the power out about 4:30, the storm was super low when the thunder came, it shook the house, rattled the windows, and knocked the power out, the first time the power went out it was for 15 minutes, the second time it was for 1 hour and 53 minutes! I have a headache from being jolted awake and then yells from my son. I know of you folks get weather like that but we do not! It totally sounded like the house cracked in half. Dogs barking, car alarms going off. Neighbors outside in their boxers. Quite the excitement in the predawn hours. Now my torties are going to be mad, cause no one can go outside! Lucky for me I am leaving in an hour to teach a quilt class!!!

That sounds really scary!! I am sorry that happened to you!! I cannot think of a single neighbor of mine that I would like to see in their boxers so that sounds scary as well! I hope you have a great Saturday!
It was scary and now round 2 is rolling in. I suppose it wouldn't be as bad but the storm is very low. It's 6:15 and dark from the black clouds, kinda creepy....... I think it's going to be another busy night!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh no Mary Anne! I hope it is not too bad. Last month my two oldest kid's watched our 70ft maple tree in our front yard fall and smash my van in a storm. So if it is even the tiniest bit windy or rainy I get a bed full of panicked kids!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Ok, I think I'm getting ready to buy my first RF. I may pay for it now and make arrangements for it to arrive in a few weeks. I'm so excited!! My margarita may be speaking but my husband told his brother tonight night at dinner that "apparently we are getting a tortoise!" That's all I needed to hear!! I swear I'm like a kid. You give me an inch & I take a mile when it comes to pets!
WooHoo!! Happy Saturday!!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
CtTortoiseMom said:
Oh no Mary Anne! I hope it is not too bad. Last month my two oldest kid's watched our 70ft maple tree in our front yard fall and smash my van in a storm. So if it is even the tiniest bit windy or rainy I get a bed full of panicked kids!!

Erin, it was so bad a little while ago, my hubby said I should get off my laptop. It's much better now, still crazy outside. The lights just flickered again. We have candles at the ready! I think we got 6 months of rain totals in 30 minutes, it was pouring like a big dog! The cdt pen is flooded!

Boy, that must have scared your kids! I bet the sound was scary enough! Glad it wasn't your home!! Did you get a new van?

Here where I live we get 2 seasons, or events: Hot or Foggy. That's it. I honestly do not own a winter coat, really no need for one.

Kinda fun, because we usually don't see this much action. The downside is in our county we now have 40 fires burning. Mostly in the foothills. That part is scary. Lightning with no rain is no bueno!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
I think you made the right move, with going to the Pet shop. I would be thinking if it were me, that the breeder perhaps no longer had any tortoises for sale. Friday we are expecting some pictures, okay?

Absolutely - I did start to get worried! And yes, there'll be lots of pictures taken!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
The search for pictures of the elusive Eastern Box Turtle in its natural habitat continues this morning... but now I have advice from the Guru so I'm feeling much more confident! :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Torty Mom said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Erin, it was so bad a little while ago, my hubby said I should get off my laptop. It's much better now, still crazy outside. The lights just flickered again. We have candles at the ready! I think we got 6 months of rain totals in 30 minutes, it was pouring like a big dog! The cdt pen is flooded!

Boy, that must have scared your kids! I bet the sound was scary enough! Glad it wasn't your home!! Did you get a new van?

Here where I live we get 2 seasons, or events: Hot or Foggy. That's it. I honestly do not own a winter coat, really no need for one.

Kinda fun, because we usually don't see this much action. The downside is in our county we now have 40 fires burning. Mostly in the foothills. That part is scary. Lightning with no rain is no bueno!

Good Morning:). I hope the storm has passed by now!!
My van was in the shop for 3 week's!! I had to get a new roof and windshield. It look's brand new again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
AnthonyC said:
The search for pictures of the elusive Eastern Box Turtle in its natural habitat continues this morning... but now I have advice from the Guru so I'm feeling much more confident! :)

Anthony, that's very exciting. Make sure you go very early in the AM. look on the base of a tree, under fallen leaves or a fallen log..etc. Take lots of pictures. I hope you find some as I'm curious to see if you have the any high yellow's or reds where you live. I've never seen a high red here only yellows. Good luck!!

I'm very excited.....someone from another forum is giving me two baby Eastern Box turtles, and my sister is giving me another one. All three should be coming this week. Something to play with while all the others are outside hibernating for the Winter. Raining again today.............it never ends!!

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
trying to bring back pretend chat.

well now I have to eat dinner. bosco sticks. (bread sticks with pizza stuff inside-really filling)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
We are joining the Cinema club, first movie next week. The list is Midnight in Paris, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Tree of Life, The Trip, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Another Earth, The Devil's Double, and The Guard. I looked at all the trailers, and they sound good with the exception of The Guard. Vulgar, maybe. Anyway, it's an evening out of the house!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I watched a funny movie the other night, it had Robert Downy Jr. and Zach Galifinakis in it, it was called "Due Date". It was ridiculous which was what I needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.