Problemss...as always

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
So I have been working all week on redoing my 4 x 6 table to make it two feet tall instead of one and building a two level 4 x 8 stand to put a 4 x 8 tortoise table on top and the new 4 x 6 table on bottom...Got everything done and guess what ?? The 4 x 8 tortoise table that I worked forever on is too long to "catiecorner" into my room which is down a hall...we tried everything but it won't fit. I can''t turn it enough in the narrow hall way to get it to go through my door. So now I have a huge 4 x 8 tortoise table and no where to put it cause it can't fit where I had planned for it to go...Only other options are put it out in the carport on the stand (which I would have to take apart move out of my room and then put together again. Not to mention some how move the 4 x 6 table out frrom the bottom of it) and see if it stays warm enough for the sullies(its a completely closed chamber) to live in...Not the best idea. Other idea is put in kitchen (mom hates this idea) and the other is just chop 6 inches off of one end some how... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Did you try standing it up on end? That sometimes gets big objects through doorways.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My father-in-law had a crib built for our first son,it was to large to get in the room without taking it apart to some extent,It was some work but I removed a window and got it in through the hole,this was an older house with the older type windows that had the counter weights that hung on rope, today's newer windows can be removed and replaced much easier, It's a thought,if you have a window large enough to get it through. Good Luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote take it apart and reassemble it in the room. You built it. You can unbuild it and re-build it.

I know, I know, its a pain in the rear, but think how awesome it will be when you are all done. And think what a sense of accomplishment you will feel. That's what I tell myself when I'm digging one of those 3' deep holes in my concrete-like dirt... :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Did you try standing it up on end? That sometimes gets big objects through doorways.
Captain I canna change the laws of physics.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
A buddy of mine once built a boat in his garage...upon finishing it, because of how it was oriented, he discovered that it wouldn't go through either door...

It's still in there, but he doesn't want to talk about it...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A little OT, but this remninds me of NCIS and gibbs and his basement boats, how in the heck does he get them out of there.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Gibbs- me too!

If you CAN take it apart, consider reassembling it in such a way that taking it apart the next time you need to move it, it is easier. For example, wing nuts and lock washers instead of locking hex nuts, etc.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
You can remove the door.. frame and all... Would be simple..remove the moldings on both sides..remove the nails or use a sazall to cut them... Then reverse to put back in...should give you about 3-4" in extra width and about 2"in height..

If the house is newer and on the first floor... The windows should pop out really easy also.. Just a thought...good luck..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Or can you disassemble one or two sides only, then it might fit through, and the reattach them in your room with the bolts and wing nuts as suggested (for the future)?
A shame not to use it.

Don't worry, you are not alone. I have done similar things more often than I would like to admit.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
The whole cage is staple and screwed to a frame, if I disassembled it it would ruin it . The plywood and frame would splinter and split a lot...
I already had my door taken off and it didn't help unfortunately.
The only idea that might work is if I stand the cage up so that it's eight feet tall but I don't think my hall way is that tall.. :/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Try it. Stand it up partway at a slant, as tall as you can get it. This is how movers get furniture through doors.
Otherwise, could you cut it in half, and reassemble it with some 1"x3" trim pieces on the sides and bottom?
there has got to be a way!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Try it. Stand it up partway at a slant, as tall as you can get it. This is how movers get furniture through doors.
Otherwise, could you cut it in half, and reassemble it with some 1"x3" trim pieces on the sides and bottom?
there has got to be a way!

Ha now there is just the issue of finding someone that wants to help me lift that cage to where it stands eight feet tall and try to maneuver it through the hall and my door
It's freaking heavy lol I hope that way works cause if not I'm gonna have to chop it all up and it's kinda sucks to have to do that to something I worked that hard on

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
A buddy of mine once built a boat in his garage...upon finishing it, because of how it was oriented, he discovered that it wouldn't go through either door...

It's still in there, but he doesn't want to talk about it...

Lol!

DriveWRX

5 Year Member
USA
BrinnANDGupta said:
...I hope that way works cause if not I'm gonna have to chop it all up and it's kinda sucks to have to do that to something I worked that hard on...

That's what I ended up doing to one of my enclosures.
This enclosure is 6ft x 4ft x 2ft (it's a 4 story tortoise table) and I built in place in the basement.

Well, I ended up moving and the only way to get it out was up the stairs. That's when I realized, it wasn't going to fit the stairway...
I literally had to cut it in half (upper 2 stories separated from the lower 2) to get it out.

But now it's all back together at the new house and I can hardly tell that it was in pieces.

Bu... next enclosure I build, I'm planning ahead and making sure that it can be easily dismantled and reassembled.

DriveWRX

5 Year Member
USA
BrinnANDGupta said:
...I hope that way works cause if not I'm gonna have to chop it all up and it's kinda sucks to have to do that to something I worked that hard on...

That's what I ended up doing to one of my enclosures.
This enclosure is 6ft x 4ft x 2ft (it's a 4 story tortoise table) and I built in place in the basement.

Well, I ended up moving and the only way to get it out was up the stairs. That's when I realized, it wasn't going to fit the stairway...
I literally had to cut it in half (upper 2 stories separated from the lower 2) to get it out.

But now it's all back together at the new house and I can hardly tell that it was in pieces.

So, next enclosure I build, I'm planning ahead and making sure that it can be easily dismantled and reassembled.

Terry, I love that boat story! LOL

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tomorrow I am jigsawing off the first foot of the enclosure and making a 8 by three foot enclosure. :) I think I can make it look good as new (hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.