Progress on my indoor enclosure

wd1882

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama, USA
I couldn't go with the 4'x8'x1' dimensions that were recommended. :/ This is more like 3'x4'or5'x1'. A bit smaller, but will be countered with an excellent outdoor enclosure. It's not done yet, I still have to put a top that opens on the enclosed end, and stain the outside just for appearance, then attach it to the bottom cabinet we've built, and I'll be ready to order my Russian! (after I order substrate and such, what should I get for the substrate? I've seen a LOT of different things mentioned.)

1434814024707.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would use the coco-coir, does a nice job of holding moisture without becoming moldy.

I would have a least a 4" deep substrate. I would also add a ramp and a partial 2nd story; Russians love to climb and dig. The ramp provides much more exercise than just a flat walking area.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
You will need to put something to protect the wood when using moist substrate so it does not cause the wood to get moldy. For example you can use a shower curtain. Your enclosure looks great so far. For hatchlings I use moist coir. I add several piles of moist sphagnum moss in the warm areas. The hatchlings love to bury themselves in the moist moss. When they turn around 1 year old I switch over to a mixture to Cypress mulch and coir.

wd1882

Central Alabama, USA
Would the stain hurt the tortoise if I stained the inside part of the box? Stain would protect to a certain extent.

wd1882

Central Alabama, USA
Another thing, could either of you, or anyone else, compile me a shortlist of the things I'll need for the interior of the box? I've done my research of course, but I want to make sure I get everything.

And for things like the substrate, can you provide a link to a reliable website to purchase said item from?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Petmountain.com has great prices on supplies. They have free shipping if you spend $75.00.

mike thornton

Kauai
Definitely stay away from the stain on the inside just on the off chance the tortoise scratches a piece loose and eats it most stains are petroleum based and not good for any animal to injest there are different types of ply wood you can buy that do much better with moisture like marine ply for example is made to be in and around moisture with out the de lamination problems keep up the good work it's so worth it

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
I would use the coco-coir, does a nice job of holding moisture without becoming moldy.

I would have a least a 4" deep substrate. I would also add a ramp and a partial 2nd story; Russians love to climb and dig. The ramp provides much more exercise than just a flat walking area.
Sorry to but in... But how would you add a partial 2nd story? I've been trying to find images to get an idea and haven't been able to find any.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Think of it like a split level house. The left side is the dining room with a hanging light and a dining table along with a bar for drinks. (The feeding slate is your DR table, the water saucer is your bar, and your basking light is hanging above that end.) This level continues the entire length of your available space; 8 to 12 feet would be ideal.

The 2nd story can start just outside of the range of your basking light. So, allow 3 feet for the light and cleaning access, then place your 2nd story inside the walls of your first story. I use 2 cross beams to support the second story and this allows me to lift the second story off for a more through cleaning or rearranging. Allow space for one or more ramps to allow the tort to move freely from one level to another. Remember there will be times that you will need to pick up your tort from the farthest corner so allow a space so you can reach down to all areas under the 2nd story. I like 12" tall walls minimum to allow for a deep substrate.

I like to hinge my ramp to the second story because Russians will push under the ramp as they dig and hide. With the hinge the bottom of the ramp cam be lifted by your Russian to allow exit from the under ramp hide.

Good luck with your enclosure. And remember, it's Ok to continue to add on or modify your enclosure to make it better.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
Think of it like a split level house. The left side is the dining room with a hanging light and a dining table along with a bar for drinks. (The feeding slate is your DR table, the water saucer is your bar, and your basking light is hanging above that end.) This level continues the entire length of your available space; 8 to 12 feet would be ideal.

The 2nd story can start just outside of the range of your basking light. So, allow 3 feet for the light and cleaning access, then place your 2nd story inside the walls of your first story. I use 2 cross beams to support the second story and this allows me to lift the second story off for a more through cleaning or rearranging. Allow space for one or more ramps to allow the tort to move freely from one level to another. Remember there will be times that you will need to pick up your tort from the farthest corner so allow a space so you can reach down to all areas under the 2nd story. I like 12" tall walls minimum to allow for a deep substrate.

I like to hinge my ramp to the second story because Russians will push under the ramp as they dig and hide. With the hinge the bottom of the ramp cam be lifted by your Russian to allow exit from the under ramp hide.

Good luck with your enclosure. And remember, it's Ok to continue to add on or modify your enclosure to make it better.
Got'cha. That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking of it being like.. apartment style? With one directly on top of the other. The split level-house reference definitely helped put it into perspective for me. Thanks!

wd1882

Central Alabama, USA
What's your guys' input on sealing the inside with a polyurethane finish? Its cabinet grade wood, so I don't think the tortoise is going to be chipping the wood and ingesting any at all.

My father, who is helping me build this thinks we should so long as it doesn't pose any risk to the tortoise.

wd1882

Central Alabama, USA
Also! I need help in choosing a light fixture for my basking lamp.

Can someone point me to which fixture is appropriate on this page?
http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/24-light-fixtures

EDIT :
http://imgur.com/TkPINav

This is my cart on LLLReptiles at the moment. I'm going to make my own half log for my tortoise, so I don't need to purchase one. What else am I missing/should change?

Last edited: