Progress on indoor enclosure

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_4840.JPG IMG_4860.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4847.JPG IMG_4828.JPG I've been making progress on Diego's winter home. I built a wooden box that is 5x7 with 12" high walls. The box will be convertible so that in the summer when Diego is outside it can be turned into a queen bed for any guests that come to stay. Today I finally put the substrate in and let Diego explore it (while it poured rain for the first time in months... good timing). I still have a ways to go on the enclosure. I'll be adding a "loft", a couple more hides, lots of plants and a uv light. Possibly a che or radiant heat panel but I might be able to get away without since his bedroom is the warmest in the house.
My photos didn't load in the order I had wanted but the first is of the box lined with shower curtain and heavy plastic.
2nd and 3rd photo is the enclosure as of now.
4th photo is of a messy bed after my guests last weekend left.
5th photo is the "bed" with the mattress removed.

Soooo... I really appreciate your guys' insight and advice. See anything that could be improved?
Oh I should say that the water bowl is a ceramic pie dish with a piece of slate rock in it and its sunk into the substrate. I think this setup makes it the same depth as a terra-cotta plant saucer and with plenty of traction. Also substrate is a mix of top soil from garden center and fir mulch without coloring or chemicals (depth varies 3-5 inches).
So I also have a question...
I found a beautiful rock with lots of nice moss on it that would create a cool hide. Would Diego eat the moss and if he did would that be bad for him? Any little creatures that could cause problems that could be in the moss?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Looks great. No need for a slate in the water dish. Just press it down into the soil. Perhaps consider a bigger hide or putting a piece of wood to make a roofed in area. What type of tort you have?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
image.jpg
Looks great. No need for a slate in the water dish. Just press it down into the soil. Perhaps consider a bigger hide or putting a piece of wood to make a roofed in area. What type of tort you have?
Hi and thanks! I have an adult Russian tortoise. I've added 2 new hides now for a total of 3 but I'm going to change things soon.... I just got a small cabinet that I'll be adding as a loft and that will create more hiding places and more space. BUT... to my dismay Diego doesn't leave his basking area much. I put a new (temporary) hide very close to the basking area and he will poke his head in and sleep with his body cooking under the flood lamp. His whole room is at 75 and his basking temp is 100.
I'm hoping this behavior has to do with a fall lethargy that is normal this time of year but it has me concerned that there is something lacking. He's usually so active. (In the photo his light is off because I took it at 7 am before it turned on)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
View attachment 251251 View attachment 251252 View attachment 251253 View attachment 251254 View attachment 251255 I've been making progress on Diego's winter home. I built a wooden box that is 5x7 with 12" high walls. The box will be convertible so that in the summer when Diego is outside it can be turned into a queen bed for any guests that come to stay. Today I finally put the substrate in and let Diego explore it (while it poured rain for the first time in months... good timing). I still have a ways to go on the enclosure. I'll be adding a "loft", a couple more hides, lots of plants and a uv light. Possibly a che or radiant heat panel but I might be able to get away without since his bedroom is the warmest in the house.
My photos didn't load in the order I had wanted but the first is of the box lined with shower curtain and heavy plastic.
2nd and 3rd photo is the enclosure as of now.
4th photo is of a messy bed after my guests last weekend left.
5th photo is the "bed" with the mattress removed.

Soooo... I really appreciate your guys' insight and advice. See anything that could be improved?
Oh I should say that the water bowl is a ceramic pie dish with a piece of slate rock in it and its sunk into the substrate. I think this setup makes it the same depth as a terra-cotta plant saucer and with plenty of traction. Also substrate is a mix of top soil from garden center and fir mulch without coloring or chemicals (depth varies 3-5 inches).
So I also have a question...
I found a beautiful rock with lots of nice moss on it that would create a cool hide. Would Diego eat the moss and if he did would that be bad for him? Any little creatures that could cause problems that could be in the moss?

That’s an ingenious use of space!! Luv it