Protein options?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My tortoise has had canned tuna, canned salmon (with no additives), egg with the shell, snails, worms, boiled chicken and shrimp, purina pro plan weight management, and unfortunately a dead snake that she found in the yard when I wasn't watching. I also feed mushrooms occasionally for plant protein.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Smashed up whole boiled eggs and sometimes Very high quality dog food mashed into wetted Mazuri mush.
Come to think of it, a lot of different stuff added to Mazuri.

Keith D.

Arizona
I have been selling a lot of dubias to some redfoot owners lately, maybe because I gutload them on a lot of high nutrition high calcium food...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The outer skin on meal worms is hard to digest.

Sarah_Marie

I also wonder about cooked egg shell. When a dog is on a raw food diet, the shells are given in raw form. It's a big "no no" to give them cooked shell. Not quite sure why.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Early spring last year (2014) I started feeding the forest species tortoises and the box turtles Sportsmans Choice multi- species fish feed as a protein source. I tried it because the pellets were different sizes which meant the smaller ones could eat it dry also, if they wanted to. This year I had an increase in eastern box turtle hatchlings (found). I think the new fish feed may have something to do with that. Only time will tell.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
The ingredients seem a bit vague.

image.png

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What do you guys use for protein for your tortoises? I normally use red wigglers. One of my red foot lives the other one is scared of them.... So what do you guys use?
Hi there. Boiled egg( shell an all). Pinkies, fuzzies, mushrooms,catfood,dogfood,shrimps and If you really want to go natural, catkill(mice,voles and birds) or roadkill(squirrel,rabbit or pheasants).

Sarah_Marie

My torts are about 30 years old. I fed them a variety of protein listed above by other members. No one mentioned pinkies so i thought I'd suggest.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Anna loves chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs, and Mazuri. We do heavy protein meals about once a week as a teat, and the rest of the week she loads greens and fruits. Anna enjoysAnna6.jpg like a 50/30/20 split, veggies/fruit/protein...roughly-speaking.

ShannonT

Oregon, Pacific Northwest
My clan of 8 seem to really enjoy 'salad' mixtures. Today they enjoyed a protein meal which consisted of:
Chopped Fresh Green Beans, Zucchini, Baby Pumpkin, Mushrooms, and Boiled Egg.
I soak a handful of Mazuri in warm water to soften, then fold them into the salad.
What I add varies depending on was is fresh and available.
They seem to enjoy exploring the variety and I haven't encountered anyone being terribly picky.
They each definitely have their favorites!