Protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
I was told its good to give protein once a month to my tortoise....I hard-boiled an egg and took out the yolk and gave him the white he loved it but i was wondering what other foods i can give him to switch it up so he doesn't get bored ...any suggestions?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Red-foot or a similar species? They benefit from some protein but do not need a lot. You have a lot of choices.

I personally prefer bugs- worms, larvae, edible caterpillars, etc. (but light on the mealworms- the shells are hard to digest if they get too many at once.) You can also do frozen feeder animals like baby mice, rats or chicks. If you don't want to go with that kind of stuff, you can try things like cooked chicken, oily fish, low-fat cat food, organ meats, etc.

Because it is a pretty small part of the diet, it can be a bit 'naughty', but try to avoid too fatty. (By the way, oily fish- tuna, mackerel, etc.- offer a lot of benefits but can make smelly droppings.)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My RF loves slugs

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Madkins007 said:
Red-foot or a similar species? They benefit from some protein but do not need a lot. You have a lot of choices.

I personally prefer bugs- worms, larvae, edible caterpillars, etc. (but light on the mealworms- the shells are hard to digest if they get too many at once.) You can also do frozen feeder animals like baby mice, rats or chicks. If you don't want to go with that kind of stuff, you can try things like cooked chicken, oily fish, low-fat cat food, organ meats, etc.

Because it is a pretty small part of the diet, it can be a bit 'naughty', but try to avoid too fatty. (By the way, oily fish- tuna, mackerel, etc.- offer a lot of benefits but can make smelly droppings.)

Yeah he is a red foot and this was really helpful :) so thanks and since they do not need a lot keep it to the once a month about?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i feed my 6 1/2 year old redfoot protein every sunday but every 2-3 weeks will be fine if you wish!

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
tyler0912 said:
i feed my 6 1/2 year old redfoot protein every sunday but every 2-3 weeks will be fine if you wish!

awesome thanks!:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In a balanced, varied diet, they get a lot of protein from the plants. The main benefits of meat in the wild diet may be several other nutrients, amino acids, fatty acids, and so forth that are less available in just plants.

The biggest downside to offering too much meat seems to be the chance of obesity and related health issues (fatty deposits, clogged arteries, etc.) A little bit every week, a chunk every few weeks, or a meal every month- whichever way works for you!

Madkins007 said:
In a balanced, varied diet, they get a lot of protein from the plants. The main benefits of meat in the wild diet may be several other nutrients, amino acids, fatty acids, and so forth that are less available in just plants.

The biggest downside to offering too much meat seems to be the chance of obesity and related health issues (fatty deposits, clogged arteries, etc.) A little bit every week, a chunk every few weeks, or a meal every month- whichever way works for you!

dmmj- I completely forgot about slugs and snails- thanks!

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Madkins007 said:

Madkins007 said:

dmmj- I completely forgot about slugs and snails- thanks!

awesome thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.