puffy eyes when asleep

louise andrews

Please could you reassure me as my tortoise of nearly 50 years seems to have yellow puffy eyes only noticeable when sleeping. He appears healthy in every other way. I just don't remember his eyes looking like this in the past.

He has full use of the lawn with all of its little weeds and eats well every day. I don't supplement and give him the odd tomato and cucumber bits for hydration and occasional apple for pectin.

What could be wrong?

Thank you

tortoise asleep.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's fine. That's just his eyelids, and I see nothing wrong with them.

You can recess a large plant saucer down into the ground and keep it filled with clean water. Tortoises need more water than what comes in food.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Please could you reassure me as my tortoise of nearly 50 years seems to have yellow puffy eyes only noticeable when sleeping. He appears healthy in every other way. I just don't remember his eyes looking like this in the past.

He has full use of the lawn with all of its little weeds and eats well every day. I don't supplement and give him the odd tomato and cucumber bits for hydration and occasional apple for pectin.

What could be wrong?

Thank you

View attachment 204577
Wow, is he ever CUTE! What an adorable sleeping position!! And his eyes look fine to me, too!

louise andrews

Thank you Yvonne - I'm so glad you think so.

I will try the plant saucer but he does have regular baths, so is able to drink at those times.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your tort is fine, don't worry/panic.

And he's sweet too.

Evan Jackson

Western Indiana
What kind of tortoise is he? He looks adorable!

(Sorry, I'm new and probably not much help. But I'd definitely trust Yvonne and them all, they have a ton and a half of experience!)

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Beautiful tort. Mine do the same thing when they are really relaxed.