Pumice in a bedding mix?

John O

Location (City and/or State)
Selma, Ca
I just moved our three 8 month old Russians that hatched in the yard last summer, into a larger container (they are now 3+inches long), for new bedding I used Sungro Black Gold Orchid Potting Mix from Ace Hardware. The ingredients listed in the California version are; Fir bark, Pumice, perlite and wetting agents. They immediately went for the small crunchy bits (pumice?). Is this normal or dangerous? Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Avoid potting MIX.
The correct one will say pure Orchid MEDIA.
Do you have a HOME DEPOT nearby? This is great stuff and it's very long lasting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just moved our three 8 month old Russians that hatched in the yard last summer, into a larger container (they are now 3+inches long), for new bedding I used Sungro Black Gold Orchid Potting Mix from Ace Hardware. The ingredients listed in the California version are; Fir bark, Pumice, perlite and wetting agents. They immediately went for the small crunchy bits (pumice?). Is this normal or dangerous? Thanks
That is perlite. It is deadly to tortoises. It takes a long time to kill them. It crumbles and lines their intestinal tract and doesn't move through.

Please read this. It has the correct substrate and care info: