Will these substrates work? (Pics included)

visuvius

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm building my red foot a larger indoor enclosure and I'd like to see if the following substrates will work. I was going to use some of this orchid bark that I found it Ace hardware:

PXL_20230708_195937400.jpg
Bag says Orchid Bark but ingredients says Fir Bark.

PXL_20230708_195942250.jpg

Then more importantly, I want to see if this soil is okay? I was going to use a mix of the following two:

PXL_20230708_195927736.jpg

PXL_20230708_195913172.jpg

I don't see fertilizers or perlite included as any of the ingredients. Please let me know if these two will work.

Attachments

• PXL_20230708_195937400.jpg
    PXL_20230708_195937400.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What species of tortoise/turtle do you have?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not an expert so @ZEROPILOT should be able to help you. I wouldn't use it with my tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not if It contains Perlite, moss, vermaculite or any other items
You want 100% pure Orchid bark.
I buy mine at the HOME DEPOT.
That product is not safe to use in my opinion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 4

visuvius

CA
Yes the bag just says orchid bark. There's not perlite in either the orchid bark or the potting soil. I posted pictures of the ingredients.

The bag zeropilot posted is similar to the one I posted from Ace hardware. Both ingredients say fir bark.

For redfoots are you guys using just the bark? I was thinking there would be a layer of the soil then the bark on top.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes the bag just says orchid mark. There's not perlite in either the orchid bark or the potting soil. I posted pictures of the ingredients.
The ingredient list contains pumice. Moss and Vermaculite from what I can see.
The other one contained sand. Which has its own issues.

There are 3 photos that list ingredients.
The first one showing FIR BARK only seems fine.
Why are there 3 different ingredients lists?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I read it on the third ingredient. It also contains moss.

visuvius

CA
Oh I thought perlite was the main thing to worry about not Moss as well. Yes I see that it has moss.

I need a recommendation for soil that I can use. I know I can use coco noir but I'm trying to find something that is more economical and available at a big box store.

visuvius

CA
The ingredient list contains pumice. Moss and Vermaculite from what I can see.
The other one contained sand. Which has its own issues.

There are 3 photos that list ingredients.
The first one showing FIR BARK only seems fine.
Why are there 3 different ingredients lists?
The last two images are of two different potting soils that I was hoping to mix in use. I didn't realize moss and vermiculite were also an issue. I will return those, but now I'm looking for a soil to use.

Can I use the orchid bark as the only substrate? Will the tort be able to make a little burrow for itself?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would use only the pure Orchid bark.
No soil.
Orchid bark is excellent for humidity retention. It's inexpensive and very long lasting since it can be easily "spot cleaned".
(Just remove the small soiled area as needed)
Orchid bark as the entire substrate is a great choice

visuvius

CA
I would use only the pure Orchid bark.
No soil.
Orchid bark is excellent for humidity retention. It's inexpensive and very long lasting since it can be easily "spot cleaned".
(Just remove the small soiled area as needed)
Okay, I was not aware that I could use orchid bark as the sole substrate. I'm coming from a smaller enclosure where I was using coco fiber on the bottom and then zoomed Forest floor on top. Both are quite a bit more expensive than what you can find at the hardware stores.

But if you're saying I can use just orchid bark then that is great and that's what I will use. I was just noticed that the red foot likes to dig a little bit and nestle in there and I was concerned that she would not be able to do that with the bark.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay, I was not aware that I could use orchid bark as the sole substrate. I'm coming from a smaller enclosure where I was using coco fiber on the bottom and then zoomed Forest floor on top. Both are quite a bit more expensive than what you can find at the hardware stores.

But if you're saying I can use just orchid bark then that is great and that's what I will use. I was just noticed that the red foot likes to dig a little bit and nestle in there and I was concerned that she would not be able to do that with the bark.
Yes
They'll wiggle and partially bury themselves in.
Provide hiding places too. And a shallow water source large enough to climb into.
Your temperature goal is 80 to 84° And your humidity goal is 75% plus.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
The top one says it is 100% fir bark. That should be fine.

Don't use the soil bags. Lots of stuff in there that we don't want our tortoises to have access to.

They can't really dig "caves" in orchid bark, but they can definitely burrow in it and my Hermann's tortoise seems to prefer doing that in the bark more than digging in actual dirt.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As early as 5 or 6 years ago, I was still using potting soil over my orchid bark.
The use of soil is an old hobby standard. But frowned upon now that we know more about it. It just causes issues. Especially with young tortoises than can be completely avoided by not using any soil.
"SOIL" in itself isn't even the same from source to source. It's just not reccomended anymore.
When your RF get larger, and older, they can safely live outside in your partitioned yard.
The soil/dirt in your yard will be less of an issue.

visuvius

CA
Perfect, thanks for the answers folks. I'm going to go with all orchid bark and return the other bags. I'm trying to get this girl to 7" in so we can move her outside. Really excited about building her an outside fenced in area.

Central PA
Thats awesome! I just finished building my jv. greek tortoise an outdoor terrarium thats 8ft. She loves it it gives me peace of mind that she gets her time outside and is safe