Puncture Vine

EmilyCCAP

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hello!

I am new here, so first off, hello and thank you all for providing a place to get info and support for our shelled friends!

I have a young desert tortoise and I am desperately trying to find a variety of healthy food options for him. Previously, he was pretty much only raised on kale, and I would like to do better for him. In my yard I have several weeds, but I do not know what they are. I have figured out that one is puncture vine. Is that safe for him to eat? There are several other vine like weeds that I am still trying to identify. I will post pictures when I can.

Thank you so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, puncture vine is one of the weeds they eat in the wild. If you post pictures of the weeds we might be able to help you ID them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had to look it up to be sure. Puncture vine is AKA goat head weed. It is an excellent tortoise food when its still green, but I'm afraid to feed it to them once the heads dry out and get spiky. Common names can get confused, so to be clear, I am talking about Tribulus terrestris. I just planted some myself, but I am going to rip it all out by the root before it goes to seed.

EmilyCCAP

Tucson, AZ
Yes, Tribulus terrestris. I'm so happy they can eat it! I will be sure to only give him pieces that are still green. Thank you!