Pyramiding research question

xirxes

I have read far and wide about the potential causes for pyramiding in sulcatas, and have read two research papers on the issue, but I am having trouble finding what I'm looking for.

I have seen that while holding diet and indoor location size constant, adjusting humidity variable, lack of humidity shows significant pyramiding.

Now, what I want to know is, has the reverse experiment been performed, holding the higher, non pyramiding humidity as a constant, changing diet as a variable for food amount/protein content to determine pyramiding effect?

I'd like to solve the Over/Underfeeding=pyramiding question with this, separate from humidity issue. It seems that all I can find is anecdotal evidence of overfeeding causing pyramiding.

Thanks for info!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Did you read "Influence of environmental humidity and dietary protein on pyramidal growth of carapaces in African spurred tortoises" from 2002?
The groups D and E were both raised under high humidity but different dietary protein levels.

xirxes

Thank you for the referral again! I had seen this one, but must have missed beyond the immediate results of humidity.

That 5 month study suggests that neither high protein nor high food volume contributed to pyramiding growth while high humidity was kept constant.

Anyone have a link or info about any other research to corroborate? I know that this one study presented to Vienna is seen as the main source.

For anyone else looking, here is a quick synopsis I found:

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/humidity-pyrmiding-sulcata-tortois.pdf

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
That 5 month study suggests that neither high protein nor high food volume contributed to pyramiding growth while high humidity was kept constant.
"Variable dietary protein had a minor, positive impact on this pathological formation of humps."