pyramiding tortoise?

dogepoge

I am a new tortoise owner. I was given this tortoise from a friend who didn't have room for it so I don't know much about it.
My tortoise grazes a lot the on Bermuda grass in my yard. I feed my tortoise (Lorenzo) mixed greens every other day or two to including kale, dark lettuces etc and alfalfa (although he doesn't like alfalfa) he always has water available but I'm afraid he's pyramiding.
please take a look at the pictures and see if he is and if so help me figure out how to make it stop
he also dug a 6 foot den in my yard so he's good on housing
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467681306.911164.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467681328.181922.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he is already pyramided. Getting him a warm humid hide to sleep in at night or when he wants might help to start new growth in smooth. The bigger they get and when moved outside, it's a little harder to get humidity right. About the only place to add it is a humid hide.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please make sure there is enough HUMIDITY : your tort has pyramided quite a lot. (I do not mean to hurt/upset you, alright?) Also please give your tort daily soaks in warm water.

And welcome to the forum.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your tortoise has pyramided quite a bit but is leveling out now as often is the case with sulcatas once they get about 12" or so. At the size he is now I don't think you have to worry much about pyramiding any more. Keep a good diet up, be sure water is always available and be sure he has a good place to stay warm at night= 75f in summer and 80f in winter. I only soak sulcatas once they are this size a couple times per week.

dogepoge

okay, yeah I've been soaking him and rinsing him with water once a day
he was pyramiding when I got him so I'm working pretty hard to get him back to health
what would be a good way to provide a humid environment preferably in his already made den?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
okay, yeah I've been soaking him and rinsing him with water once a day
he was pyramiding when I got him so I'm working pretty hard to get him back to health
what would be a good way to provide a humid environment preferably in his already made den?

He was pyramiding when he was younger, but it has already stopped. The new growth is coming in smooth now.

If he is using his own self-dug burrow, don't worry about humidity.

If you are in North America, you will need to block off the burrow in the fall, and make him use a heated night box. Its too cold in the ground here in winter. Something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/