Pyramiding?

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
Hi guys.
Today when I picked up my little guy I felt some sort of odd bumps, hadn't felt it before but now I can't be sure. When I looked at him from the side it looks like pyramiding. Can you guys please take a look. All opinions will help.
Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We need a pic. Profile pics work best so we can see the outline of the carapace.

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389831571.432566.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389831584.199769.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389831595.349618.jpg

Here are some pics, it seems like it's starting from the back of his little body.

Last edited by a moderator:

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
I also noticed about 30 minutes ago that he has a red spot on either side of his head. It's behind the little scales and are at the start of the neck skin. How bad is this? Can it be ear abscesses? Or is it something else? Any ideas? :(
Thanks guys.

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389839403.403025.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389839471.101476.jpg

It's more visible on the second one, but they are on both sides of his little head :(

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Looks to me like just mild irritation. Maybe he pulls into his shell tight at night and it scratches his head. Maybe someone else will give their opinion. And your tortoise isn't that badly pyramided. Most of my (rescue) russians look like yours (except bigger :D)

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
Do you think there's anything I can do for him??
One more question, why does pyramiding happen? I know there's many threads out there but my search won't go through, or it just says their are no results.
And THANK YOU!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise has a normal russian shell. That is not pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

I don't see the problem on the side of the head.

His beak looks a bit over grown and misshapen. Do he get much outside time? Diet? Supplementation routine? UV?

Here is a care sheet that might offer some tips: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is his humidity? He should have around 30-40% humidity. That will help to keep him growing smooth. He does look a little pyramided. He also looks like he had or is having a big growth spurt with that big growth line. Give him at least a humid hide with the humidity listed above. Also, give a soak once a week or so. Make sure he has water 24/7 too.

lupitapliego

5 Year Member
Ohhhh. I seee. Thank you for answering that :)
It's a small red spot on the side, right where the neck area begins.
Yes, I have realized that after reading some other threads. Looking into fixing that. Thank you for letting me know tho! :)

He does get outside time. And he gets calcium + D3 once a week.
The humidity range is always in the 40s.
I used to soak him once a week but I upped it to two. And yes, there is always water available. Thank you for the advice!
And Tom, I will look into that care sheet.
Thank you to all of you.
Any more suggestions to help stop the pyramiding?
Thank you. :)