Pyramiding

tomreverman

Hello, I am new to this site, and I'm just seeking some further info about pyramiding. I think my 3 year old Hermann is slightly pyramiding and I would like to get some opinions. He/she is very active and healthy, but i would like to know how severe it is. I havent always used UV lights and I know that that could have been the reason for it. Here is a picture. comments appreciated. Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 103

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tom:

Your Hermann's is quite pyramided, but its not from the sun, or lack thereof, or from his food, but rather its from him being kept too dry when he was a baby. In order to nip the pyramiding in the bud, you keep baby tortoises in a moist environment (contrary to what you've been told).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is quite a bit. The UVB is needed for tortoise health. If you live where there is lots of sun light, then the lights aren't needed. They pyramiding is mostly due to being raised too dry.

tomreverman

Very helpful. I just went out and got a light... but I guess that has nothing to do with it. I did get her when she was only a few weeks old. Do you think its damaging or life threatening at this point? and do you think it will get worse?
Yvonne G said:
Hi Tom:

Your Hermann's is quite pyramided, but its not from the sun, or lack thereof, or from his food, but rather its from him being kept too dry when he was a baby. In order to nip the pyramiding in the bud, you keep baby tortoises in a moist environment (contrary to what you've been told).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh ditto. They already said it.

Welcome to the forum.

Your next question will likely be, "How do I fix it?" You can't undo what is already done, but you can prevent it from getting worse with some environmental changes. More humidity, moisture and hydration.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, she's not damaged goods, and her life isn't being threatened. Its purely cosmetic. You'd be surprised at how many non-tortoise people really like the bumpy look.

tomreverman

Iv'e heard some things how it can be bad for bone structures....I just want her to live a healthy life. what should I do to prevent it from getting worse and will it get worse if I dont fix the situation?
Thanks,
Tom