Quacking Redfoot

iota

My redfoot, Amelia Pond, quacks at me and my husband. Most of the time it is during her soaks, but we recently had some nice weather in the high 70s so I took her out for some sunshine. She was quacking at me there, too. Is non-mating related quacking normal, or is she trying to steal my hubby? :p

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Some clicking is normal but it could also be a sign of a respiratory infection. Has she always done it? Eating and acting normal?

iota

I've only had her a little more than a month. She doesn't have any RI symptoms, but she did come with one.

She's a lot more active than she was when I first got her. She just quacks. I mean she honestly sounds like a teeny duck. It's usually directed at my husband, but it seems to be something she does when she feels she's not getting the attention she should. I just really had no idea tortoises made a noise.

I think it is just a personality quark. As she has become more social I have noticed a few things about her personality. She's crazy stubborn. If she sets her mind to head somewhere, that is where she is going, and you're not changing her mind....no matter how many times you get up and walk her to the other side of the yard. (When I first bought my house there was a huge retaining wall. We had it removed and turned into a tiny hill side. We can't get grass to grow on it, just some weird parsley looking weed. I don't know what it is so she can have it. She really really wants it. My last pay of the month we're going to get supplies to build a wall high enough to keep her off the hill.)

She "boops" new foods when you introduce them. She just takes her beak and kind of goes "boop" like she's getting teeny sample before deciding if she will it.

On the other side of the attention spectrum, when it is time to be left alone, she's done with you. She's figure out exactly how far into her hide I can reach, before I have to start disassembling things.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Maybe it's a territorial thing, and she's telling your husband to scram? I'm not familiar enough with the mating sounds of a tortoise to give you a definitive answer on this one. Is it like this:

Do you know how old she is? Just asking if she's too young to sex.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My reds will talk also totally normal . Tortdad is right they do have a respiratory infection noise also. If you have already had a vet treat it then it's normal . Just make sure your temperatures are right . Ri will come back once your tort gets it you have to stay on top of it .

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Oh my gosh, I would really like to hear this sound. Can you post a video? I also have a red foot. They are great.