Quarantine Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
I briefly read about this. I should be getting a new russian tortoise shortly. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this time period where I keep my tortoises separate. Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The usual recommended time is 6 months minimum. I base it more on the new tortoises activity level (eating, drinking and so on) and it's overall strength and health. In recently years I have rarely ever quarantined a tortoise for as long as 6 months and never with any problems.
I also think in most cases there is a need fpr different between quarantine times of wild caught tortoises that come from unknown conditions as opposed to captive born tortoises that come from healthy reliable sources.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
everyone does it differently. I think it is intended for making sure the new tortoise is healthy and getting it used to your keeping conditions before introducing it to your others. Depending on where/who you are getting the tortoise from can make a difference, whether it is a reputable breeder or a petstore, etc. Some people do it for a length like 3 weeks others do it 6 months, some a year or longer...

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
6 months, alright. Winter's coming so the activity is going to change correct? I read Tom's thread about pairs and I am a little apprehensive about putting them together at all. What species do you have? How many do you keep together? What size is your enclosure? FPR....? The tortoise that I'm taking in is not wild, is captive born, and from what I am told it is healthy and the woman seems reliable.

pdrobber said:
everyone does it differently. I think it is intended for making sure the new tortoise is healthy and getting it used to your keeping conditions before introducing it to your others. Depending on where/who you are getting the tortoise from can make a difference, whether it is a reputable breeder or a petstore, etc. Some people do it for a length like 3 weeks others do it 6 months, some a year or longer...

Do you keep your Russians together?

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
pdrobber said:
yes I keep my Russians together.

Sorry for all the questions. How many RT's do you have together? What genders? Thanks.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
pdrobber said:
I have 1 male and 3 females.

Oh, ok. I read that that was appropriate because it takes the stresses of breeding off of one tortoise individually. The woman that I'm rescuing my new tortoise from says that she thinks her tortoise is female (because she was told that the petshops only sold females) But, I have very little confidence in anyone at the petshops. Would it be wise to just leave the two tortoise's separated if the new tortoise is a female? My current tortoise is a male. The gender of the new tortoise is still up for debate at this point in time.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Putting mature male/male or male/female Russians together does bear close watching. Chances are that you probably aren't going to have good sucess keeping two males together. One will undoubtly become the more dominant and claim his enclosure as his territory once he becomes sexually mature. This can put the submissive male is serious stessful and physical harms way. With a male and female pair the male, again once sexually mature, will usually display constant and often very aggressive courting attempts with the female. Courting consists of initial head bobbing, biting the limbs and ramming the shell. This is followed by frequent mountings. Unless the female is receptive copulation will not take place but the the constant courting will. Usually two females of any age can be kept together without incident although one may establish a more mild dominance once mature or during breeding seasons.

If you have younger tortoises, you have some time before the above takes place but it will at some point later once a male reaches maturity.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
GBtortoises said:
Putting mature male/male or male/female Russians together does bear close watching. Chances are that you probably aren't going to have good sucess keeping two males together. One will undoubtly become the more dominant and claim his enclosure as his territory once he becomes sexually mature. This can put the submissive male is serious stessful and physical harms way. With a male and female pair the male, again once sexually mature, will usually display constant and often very aggressive courting attempts with the female. Courting consists of initial head bobbing, biting the limbs and ramming the shell. This is followed by frequent mountings. Unless the female is receptive copulation will not take place but the the constant courting will. Usually two females of any age can be kept together without incident although one may establish a more mild dominance once mature or during breeding seasons.

If you have younger tortoises, you have some time before the above takes place but it will at some point later once a male reaches maturity.

Thank you. I think I'll be keeping them in separate enclosures. Space is kind of an issue but, I wouldn't want to stress either of my tortoises out. Thanks for all of your input!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Once summer comes back to upstate New York in about 7 months, you can always put them outdoors together in large enclosure with lots of hiding spots and barriers. In most cases even two males can co-habitat with large enough living quarters done right.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
GBtortoises said:
Once summer comes back to upstate New York in about 7 months, you can always put them outdoors together in large enclosure with lots of hiding spots and barriers. In most cases even two males can co-habitat with large enough living quarters done right.

Hahaha, good ole New York. This is true, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.