Question about bulbs

Dan James

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester UK
So I am looking to buy the two bulbs in the images below.

To replace a 'red uv 50watt '

And a and a 'coil 13w' daylight bulb. Is this a good option. And would I still leave one of the new ones on through the day?

Screenshot_20171130-010125.jpgScreenshot_20171130-010001.jpg

Bee62

Germany
The first bulb only produces heat. It can be used together with the second bulb.
The mega ray 70 watt produced all what a tortoise needs: heat, visible light and UVB. It should be on 12 h / day.
What specie of tortoise do you have ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use a "spot" bulb over a tortoise. They concentrate too much heat into too small of an area and it really desiccates the carapace and leads to pyramiding. Use a flood type or regular bulb instead. You can buy them at a hardware store instead of a reptile shop and save a lot of money.

The Megaray is good for UV and some heat too.

Dan James

Manchester UK
I wouldn't use a "spot" bulb over a tortoise. They concentrate too much heat into too small of an area and it really desiccates the carapace and leads to pyramiding. Use a flood type or regular bulb instead. You can buy them at a hardware store instead of a reptile shop and save a lot of money.

The Megaray is good for UV and some heat too.
On this forum I have been advised to use these bulbs. I just thought I would double check now this comment is stating otherwise. So confusing on here.Screenshot_20171029-174858.jpg

Dan James

Manchester UK
The first bulb only produces heat. It can be used together with the second bulb.
The mega ray 70 watt produced all what a tortoise needs: heat, visible light and UVB. It should be on 12 h / day.
What specie of tortoise do you have ?
A leopard Screenshot_20171029-174858.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like Marilyn s saying the same thing, and with a lovely little graphic.

I agree, no coil or red bulbs. Megaray, or Arcadia are both good. Alternatively, the Arcadia T5 HO tube for UV used with a regular incandescent flood bulb for heat will work well too, and that would be my preference.

For a leopard tortoise you will also need night heat, which is best provided by a ceramic heating element that is controlled by a thermostat.

All of this and much more is explained right here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Keep asking questions until it is all clear. We are here to help.