Are coil bulbs bad?

justino4444

5 Year Member
I had one for over a year with no problems but I switched to a tube light just to be on the safe side. Some people have problems with them but I was fine

The red light may cause your tort to eat the substrate

gustaf

5 Year Member
What? That doesnt make sense. The red light will cause the tort to eat the substrate? Please explain.

justino4444

5 Year Member
Not every tort does it but some under a red light tend to eat there substrate I don't know why

gustaf

5 Year Member
Ok. Thats good to know. I have an adult outdoor sulcata so i dont use any artificial lighting for him but i am planning on getting a hatchling in a couple months so that sort of thing is good to take note of. If i use a red light i will definately keep a close eye out for that behavior.

vanilla13gorilla

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
CFL UVB = NO WAY... Too many issues and for what?. My theory is; if it is questionable, DONT use it. I use 12% T5 HO Arcadia Bulbs on my Leos and Russians, I think they just do better, IMHO. I have then inside for the winter, I don't think I have seen a day over 25 degrees yet in the past month. If they get some sun, I don't think it's necessary.. Then again, mine get NO sun in the winter so this is a no brainer..

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia.html

Todd, the owner here, has been awesome with all of my questions, unlike MANY small Herp shops!!. Kind of rare to find people who still have great customer service..

I have no idea about the RED bulbs.... Sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When you use a red light during the day time, because of the spectrum and the way tortoises see, it makes the substrate look like something to eat. It's ok to use it at night when the tortoise is sleeping, but not during the day. Also, if your house is only about 65 to 70F degrees at night, you don't need night time heat for a full grown Russian tortoise.

The coiled bulbs concentrate harmful rays out the end of them and cause a painful condition similar to snow blindness. It usually doesn't effect the larger tortoises, but can be quite harmful to babies. The manufacturers have made adjustments and supposedly the bulbs are now ok, however there was never a recall, so the old, harmful bulbs are still being sold. I would rather err on the side of caution and not use them at all.

For your Russian tortoise, a tube-type fluorescent UVB bulb, or a Mercury Vapor bulb would be fine.