Question about Humid Hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
I've looked everywhere it seems and I can't find what the temp should be in the humid hide for a Indian Star. Can anybody please answer this for me? I don't want it to be to cool and them end up getting a respiratory infection. Thanks :)

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
I have a closed chamber enclosure and the humidity is 80+ all over.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would recommend slightly warmer for Indian stars. Around 85 degrees is about as low as I dare to go with stars kept in a high humid environment.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Would you say high humidity environments are the best thing for Stars? Or would it be better to not risk them getting a Respritory infection and just keep the humidity not as high?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My personal thoughts are that just a humid hide is sufficient for an Indian Star (as in, not maintaining high humidity throughout the entire enclosure) as far as eliminating pyramiding and provided all other husbandry aspects are "good".

A lot of people have had success doing things both ways, so it would be difficult to determine which way would be "best". You'll have to make the determination about which way will work best for you.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Can someone please explain exactly how you have a dry enclosure and a humid hide.
To keep the hide warm enough, do you heat from underneath?
Thanks!
Ann from CT

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
AnnV said:
Can someone please explain exactly how you have a dry enclosure and a humid hide.
To keep the hide warm enough, do you heat from underneath?
Thanks!
Ann from CT

You need to buy Jerry D. Fife's book, "Star Tortoise." There is lots of great info regarding how to set up an enclosure with a humid hide.

~C

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Baby setup 3.jpgI start all my Hatchlings (Both Burmese and Indian Stars)as follows.
I use plastic cement mixing tubs (Lowes/Homedepot). I use white paper towels for the substrate for the first two months after hatching, then I switch to cypress mulch. I use a med. shoe box that I keep on the cool end of the tub. I use damp Sphagnum Moss with a damp sponge attached to the lid of the shoe box to get AIR Humidity up at least 80%. The heat spot at substrate is 95-100. The cool end during the day is around 80-85 and then will drop down to the temps of whatever my tortoise room is at. At times it will go down to the low 70's, but will warm right up after the lights go on in the morning.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Thanks for the detailed description, Ken.

Those babies must have a hearty appetite. Do they finish that mighty pile of greens off?!

Ann from CT

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
AnnV said:
Thanks for the detailed description, Ken.

Those babies must have a hearty appetite. Do they finish that mighty pile of greens off?!

Ann from CT

Ann,
At that time there were 6 baby Bumese stars in that enclosure and they would eat every last piece everyday. Burmese stars have a HUGH appetite!! I go through about 6-8 POUNDS a day on my adult Burmese.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.