question about roses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Are rose petals safe to feed to redfoots? How about the leaves? I woud hate to see the V-day flowers go to waste.

Thanks,

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Petal,leaves, and fruit (hips) are fine. Florist roses are not (pesticides). My torts have roses (wild ) in their outside enclosure.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
Petal,leaves, and fruit (hips) are fine. Florist roses are not (pesticides). My torts have roses (wild ) in their outside enclosure.

Thanks Itort, I forgot about the use of pesticides. I am assuming washing them would not help?

What exaclty is a rose fruit (hips)? I am not sure if I ever seen one before. :p

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It's a red fruit, looks like a small apple, that is the fruit of a rose. Tea roses usually don"t develop them but bush roses such as wild roses (prairie rose) and hedge roses get nice ones. This fruit is very eatable and full of nutriants.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Washing won't help because chemicals are added to their water/substrate supply and are taken into the plant, not just sprayed on the surface. Same reason why new plants from a greenhouse/nursery should be kept for awhile before planting into a tort area.

Also different roses have been raised for different uses/needs. Some for fragrance, some color, some size of bloom, amount of thorns, ect.., This makes not every rose equal to the tortoise minds as a food supply. It's often why a keeper finds their tort not interested in a certain rose.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort said:
It's a red fruit, looks like a small apple, that is the fruit of a rose. Tea roses usually don"t develop them but bush roses such as wild roses (prairie rose) and hedge roses get nice ones. This fruit is very eatable and full of nutriants.

When all the petals fall off the rose the small round apple like sturcture that is left is called a rose fruit, rose apple or rose hips. You often see these (rose hips) as an ingrediant used in tea.

Jacqui, I never thought about the different roses and the reaseons or uses they are raise for. Makes perfect sense that a tort may like one and not another. Thanks for those words of wisdom.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Here are a couple cast iron roses. These are the ones I grow for my torts. Rosa arkansana (prairie rose) and Rosa carolina.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Thanks for the help guys. I have since thrown away the "bought" roses. We have several wild roses growing around here so when I feel brave to touch them, I will replant them in the tort pen.

Thanks again,

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.