question about squeaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi everyone, I have read that when a tortoise makes a clicking sound that there could be health problems but what about when a tortoise makes a squeaking sound? When we first got our tortoises one of them made a squeaking noise but hasn't again until today. While I was soaking them one of them, the older one, kept making a noise that sounded like a soft squeaking sound. You know when you walk in wet shoes and they kind of squeak or if you open a door that is softly squeaking, it sounds kind of like that. Do you know if this is normal or if I need to take it to a vet? I have not yet found any info about this and don't know if I should be concerned.:( Maybe tortoises talk? That is what my son said when they first came, it talked to him. Any answers would be appreciated, oh and if you don't know my tortoises are roughly two months and one and a half months old. Thank you. Rose:tort:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Could be normal, but more info is needed.

Does the tortoise gape its mouth and stretch its neck towards the sky when making the squeaking noise? Is there any fluid coming from the nostrils?

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Mine squeaks too!!! but only when he is trying to finish swallowing his food. I thought its because he was eating moist food like aloe or prickly pads and air was getting backed up in his mouth. Mine has been fine so far no immediate danger. If this is a bad sign can someone please confirm it?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
No the tortoise hasn't done any of that. There is no fluid coming from the nostrils. When I gave them their soak after being outside for a little over an hour, the big one who is almost two months, started to make a very soft squeaking noise. It did it a lot but mostly while its mouth was closed. Hasn't done it since, has been a few hours. My son said it was "talking" a few weeks ago when we got them but I did not think too much about it until I heard it today. It seems normal and so I thought I would see if anyone here knew something about this and if it is okay.

Sorry, I was referring to Neal's post. Mine wasn't eating that I know of but may have had grass in its mouth that I did not see because they were outside and had ample opportunity to graze.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Hi Rose,
My tortoise makes the same noise too. He usually does it when he is making the motion of swallowing like when he is trying to finish chewing what's in his mouth before taking another bite. Mine has been fine so no immediate danger it seems. I thought its just bubbles he is squishing out as he is

Oops thought my other post didn't work.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How often does the tortoise squeak?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
He hasn't squeaked for hours. I had never heard him until today and we have had them over three weeks. I heard him/her today for a few minutes and not consistently just throughout the thirty minute soak. I haven't heard him do it since. Do you know if that is bad? All help is appreciated. Thanks, Rose

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It doesn't sound too urgent. Just keep an eye on him

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
It has been a couple of months and it still makes that same squeaking noise. It is very soft and only when it is in the water. Do you think it makes that noise because it is in the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.