Question about two tortoises in one enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Nicoleau

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello! I'm brian. I'm 15 and yeah I came here to ask about redfoots. As you see, in the title, its something about two tortoises in one enclosure. So, my grandma owns a couple redfoots in the dominican republic. So i asked her for a redfoot since she has a lot of them (she's a little bit crazy) and she said that she said she'll give me 2 so they can have "babies" but, the thing is their apparently the size of a tomato, and i dont really know if their hatchlings or not. And so it means she cant even know whether both are male or female so yeah... I dont really know what to do. Also she said that they dont bite each other, and that they were given to her together. And the risky thing is, that i know that redfoot males like to bite females so they can breed with each other or something but its kind of risky for me since i have school and i have a job. So... I dont eally know what to do. Do i just take both for free or do i buy a cherryhead? And for anyone asking, my enclosure will be 4x8 ft and ill be getting Mark's Smart Enclosure.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
trust me, ive tried to convince her to only give me one but she's a little crazy so she doesnt want to give me one...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No way to know sexes at that size, unless they are humongous tomatoes. 😄 Two hatchlings tend to seem to have more bullying going on compared to three. If you can afford to buy the one cherryhead, I'd go that way. Otherwise, can you get three from her? Then always have a backup plan, if problems do happen.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
No way to know sexes at that size, unless they are humongous tomatoes. 😄 Two hatchlings tend to seem to have more bullying going on compared to three. If you can afford to buy the one cherryhead, I'd go that way. Otherwise, can you get three from her? Then always have a backup plan, if problems do happen.
ill talk to her.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. How do you plan on getting torts from the DR to Mass? Shipping & importing torts isnt the easiest or cheapest thing to do.

Before you do too much planning ahead, Id look into how easily you can import these guys.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Can’t she just take them with her
Greetings. How do you plan on getting torts from the DR to Mass? Shipping & importing torts isnt the easiest or cheapest thing to do.

Before you do too much planning ahead, Id look into how easily you can import these guys.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Good catch

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
screw it i dont think she can take them with her. ill talk to her through ti see what she can do but im not too familiar with travel laws in dr

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Ha. It’s not that easy importing reptiles to the US. So, do some checking & research.

A good start - https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-dominican-republic
APHIS Veterinary Services (VS) does not have any animal health requirements related to bringing (importing) a pet reptiles to the United States (U.S.) from a foreign country. However, there are a few tortoises that VS prohibits from being imported. so... idk imma do more research though

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How is she getting here? If by plane, many have restrictions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've recently worked in the DR. It is extremely difficult and very expensive to move tortoises internationally. It would cost much more than the price of simply buying them captive bred here in the US, and regardless of cost, they are not going to grant the permits to do it. We have to hire brokers on both ends when we do international travel even with dogs or cats. With any type of exotic, it gets even more difficult and costly. I ended up yelling at all the desk jockeys form CDC, FWS, and USDA when I was trying to simply bring my baboons home from a job in Africa. The system is terribly broken. She will very likely get caught if she tries to sneak them, and that will not go well for her.

Issue number two: You don't have the space for for one regular red foot, much less two or three. They get too big. Cherry heads stay a bit smaller, and you should be okay if you go that way with one.

Issue three: Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Its bad for their health. Singles are fine, and groups of juveniles are usually fine, but not pairs.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
I've recently worked in the DR. It is extremely difficult and very expensive to move tortoises internationally. It would cost much more than the price of simply buying them captive bred here in the US, and regardless of cost, they are not going to grant the permits to do it. We have to hire brokers on both ends when we do international travel even with dogs or cats. With any type of exotic, it gets even more difficult and costly. I ended up yelling at all the desk jockeys form CDC, FWS, and USDA when I was trying to simply bring my baboons home from a job in Africa. The system is terribly broken. She will very likely get caught if she tries to sneak them, and that will not go well for her.

Issue number two: You don't have the space for for one regular red foot, much less two or three. They get too big. Cherry heads stay a bit smaller, and you should be okay if you go that way with one.

Issue three: Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Its bad for their health. Singles are fine, and groups of juveniles are usually fine, but not pairs.
Thank you, I’ll tel her now.

Status
Not open for further replies.