Two sulcatas in the same Enclosure

TortsieRoll

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We have a 7year old Sulcata Tortoise (Chomper) that my Husband got when he was a hatchling. We love him so much we decided to get another.

The second Sulcata is a 2 year old (Mo). We were told he is a male, but hasn’t developed any male attributes so we are thinking it might be a girl.
Anyways we have two separated enclosures for them and they seem very happy.

What I am worried about is Mo enclosure is smaller than a Chompers and eventually when they are very large I would like to have them share an enclosure.

Is this possible. I have tried introducing them with supervision Chomper constantly attempts to mount Mo and bite at his feet and towards his face. Chomper hasn’t rammed Mo at all.

They do have a significant size difference. So I am hoping Mo will grow and eventually be an similar size to Chomper.

Would I be able to then or will the both be to mature to tolerate anything in there space.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never ever in pairs! Two Sulcatas are like two bombs waiting to go off. With the size difference in yours, is almost a sure death for the little one. Do a search on here about tortoises in pairs. There's thousands of threads and post of why you can't do it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep them separated always ASAP! Btw, a new tortoise should always be in quarantine before being introduced to another tortoise which would equal a group of tortoises, not one.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It took everything I had not to reply at length about the advantages and disadvantages of different sulfates in tortoise enclosures... ;)

Jamie

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Its good you have two separate enclosures, but there is no need to introduce them. It will just stress them further. Are the enclosures adjacent? It is possible one is still being stressed by the other if they know about each other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a 7year old Sulcata Tortoise (Chomper) that my Husband got when he was a hatchling. We love him so much we decided to get another.

The second Sulcata is a 2 year old (Mo). We were told he is a male, but hasn’t developed any male attributes so we are thinking it might be a girl.

What I am worried about is Mo enclosure is smaller than a Chompers and eventually when they are very large I would like to have them share an enclosure.

Is this possible. I have tried introducing them with supervision Chomper constantly attempts to mount Mo and bite at his feet and towards his face. Chomper hasn’t rammed Mo at all.

They do have a significant size difference. So I am hoping Mo will grow and eventually be an similar size to Chomper.

Would I be able to then or will the both be to mature to tolerate anything in there space.

Thank you
Hm-m. . . your husband was a hatchling???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thank you
Hello and welcome to you. We like to joke around and have fun here. Please feel free to join in! :)

I agree with the good advice already given. Never house them in pairs. You've already seen what happens. Here is more info to get you started here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just blame autocorrect, that's what everyone else does lol.
If you have any other questions or concerns, after ready the links given, don't be afraid to ask. We are all here to help you and your tortoises have the best life possible.

Reactions: Tom