question about zoomed tortoise pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my mother bought me the zoomed forest tortoise mix though i own a Russian and leopard, she doesn't know the difference :D it is too late to return it and i have fed it to them a couple times and they have eaten it a bit. I read the back and notice it has a lot more fruit and fruit extracts in it than the grassland tortoise mix. is this something i should not offer twice a week as i would with the grassland mix? maybe twice a month and I'll buy the grassland food and continue offering that as well? just to use it up. I'm just not sure how the "fruit" in the mix will affect them, not needing much fruit in their natural diet. any thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seems like this was already asked. Anyway, I wouldn't feed it. Neither species eats fruit.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Use it up with the other you have. It will be fine. The actual amount of fruit in the pellet will NOT hurt your tortoises. No reason to waste it!!! The tortoises will probably like it!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Tim/Robin said:
Use it up with the other you have. It will be fine. The actual amount of fruit in the pellet will NOT hurt your tortoises. No reason to waste it!!! The tortoises will probably like it!

I have no objection against slowly using it up, but what is your terminology of "actual amount of fruit"? Meaning, more filler then fruit? Not arguing just curious.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
RedfootsRule said:
Tim/Robin said:

I have no objection against slowly using it up, but what is your terminology of "actual amount of fruit"? Meaning, more filler then fruit? Not arguing just curious.

I am speaking of actual amount of fruit in the pellet. I have used it and the grassland version and do not see a huge difference. Both are made up of largely of "long stem fiber diet". I am 100% confident that using the "forest" version along with a varied diet will not hurt any tortoise!! I would bet my entire herd of Radiateds on it! :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i agree. i have no idea, but I'm not sure if the "fruit" in the mix is the same as fresh fruit, nutrition wise. i know dried leaves aren't as healthy as fresh ones. i assumed the actual amount of fruit in the mix can't be more than what i already offer (1 SMALL piece of cactus fruit weekly) especially if i only offered the forest mix twice a month instead of fresh fruit? just wondering.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Isn't the reason fruit isn't offered daily is the high sugar amount in each kind? I would think that comparing the nutrition labels sugar percent would be a better measure of whether or not the pellets should be fed.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Thalatte said:
Isn't the reason fruit isn't offered daily is the high sugar amount in each kind? I would think that comparing the nutrition labels sugar percent would be a better measure of whether or not the pellets should be fed.

The problem with any commercial food is, it all comes down to how it is prepared...There are ways to process some of the sugars out of the fruits; some products do it, others don't. As nice as it would be, I've never seen a "sugar content" on tortoise food.
It really depends on the fruit to....You have the sugar-rush ones and you have the bland ones.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Hm...
I just realized that this was "forest tortoise mix" not "fruit mix"....Confusing two different products. Just read your post and saw the word fruit.
The ingredients on this stuff is actually very good, and there are only two fruits in it. The amount of fiber is very good and the greens included are pretty nutritious.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The main difference I think is that Forest has 13% protein and Grassland is 9%. The first 5-7 ingredients are all the same.

Protein*

espence

5 Year Member
i thought i'd try the zoomed pellets. my tortoise seems to like it although i supplement with a variety of veggies. she is pooping a lot more. i don't know if that is good or bad. thoughts?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
espence said:
i thought i'd try the zoomed pellets. my tortoise seems to like it although i supplement with a variety of veggies. she is pooping a lot more. i don't know if that is good or bad. thoughts?

Mine started pooping a little more also once he began regularly eating the pellets. I believe it is from the high fiber content.

Status
Not open for further replies.