Question on humidity for RedFoot

RedHeadMama

Hi, my RedFoot, Lily, came from a home where she was kept in an aquarium with cypress bark substrate, a wooden log hide, and about 40-50% humidity. We've tried to recreate a more tropical forest environment by adding plants (live and fake) andsphagnum moss and increasing the humidity to 80-100%. The issue is, I've noticed that on days when the humidity is at 80 or above, she rarely comes out of her hide...and when it's low enough that she's actually dry, she will come out and ask for up to a couple of hours. ??? I thought RFs need a higher humidity to stay healthy? Her eyes water without it, which I read on one thread is a sign the humidity is too low. Is she just so accustomed to drier air that she's uncomfortable moving around when it's wetter?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Humidity at 75% and above and a temperature of about 86. No higher and no lower than 80?
It might be something else.
Is it a baby? Babies love to sleep.
Tortoises also hide a lot if there is very bright light or the surroundings are unfamiliar.
Mine almost always hide for just one reason. Too hot.
Even when things are ideal, they still sleep half the day.

RedHeadMama

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Got a more precise digital thermometer/hygrometer and reset humidity--she seems a lot perkier already!