Question on humidity

Tort_nube

Hey everyone so it is that time of the year again where I need to go back to school. I am worried about the humidity for my young sulcata hatchling. Throughout the summer ever since I received the tortoise I've been militant about keeping humidity high throughout the day by misting whenever I could and turning on the exoterra fogger intermittently. Other then weekends which I have always kept school free. I get home around 1:30 most days, and 2:30 a couple days of the week. I mist heavily in the morning to get humidity high for as long as possible while I'm gone at school but I'm worried that's not enough. :( I come home and humidity is low because I leave around 8 in the morning so my tortoise is in its enclosure for 5 to 6 hours without any added humidity. So while I was wondering what to do with my humidity situation I also wondered when is humidity most important, during the day? Or at night when the tortoise is sleeping? Do tortoises grow at night much like people do? Also does anyone have suggestions about what to do about keeping humidity up while I'm away during the day? I've thought about investing in a misting system, is it worth it?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Have you tried actually watering the substrate? Misting puts humidity in the air, not much in or on the ground.

nextep

I would water the substrate, so its humid (not soaking), put on a lid for the enclosure and then put on the fogger for a while. I believe that should be enough, if not soak your tort after you get home.I believe that will work and you wont need a misting system. Good luck :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I agree, a closed chamber and nice moist, but not wet or cold substrate should do the trick.
You can poor in water and just mix it with your hands.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
My baby tortoise is in a wooden enclosure with a pond liner (but you can use a shower curtain) liner under the dirt to keep the wood dry. whenever I change the water in his water dish I just dump the old water into the dirt. the top layer of the dirt stay dry but the water spreads out over the bottom of the enclosure underneath. I don't have to do any Misting and my humidity is always 85- 90% all the time because it's an enclosed box. The humidity has nowhere to go.