question on this enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
A friend's grandma sold me her old outdoor turtle enclosure for $20! She used it for some type of Box Turtles. I have Russians, the smallest being about 4", and the biggest that I am getting this weekend is supposedly around 10".

Anyways, it's nice and sturdy and built to keep predators OUT! YAY!

It has some really cool ramps in it, but I'm questioning how safe they are for my Russians! Please look at the pics and let me know what you think! The lower ones shouldn't be an issue, but it's that green-lined ramp and then the highest one, which is 20 inches off the ground, and about 7 inches wide. It has a low lip on it, but I know that won't stop them from tumbling if they choose to look over the edge. The bottom is made with layers of chicken wire with the green lining over it, so it's not a hard fall, and I could pile up a couple of inches of sand or other substrate to make it softer. Or should I just try to add a higher lip to the sides of that highest ramp? Also, what are the chances the big girl would get up there and get stuck, seeing her shell is longer than the width of the ramp?

Of course I could always take down the green-lined ramp, thus totally eliminating the issue...

(And please excuse the "mess" and webs in the pen, we just picked it up last night and haven't had a chance to clean it out yet! The Torts aren't going in there yet anyway as it's been cold and rainy out!)

Thanks for your input!

;~) Kelly

Attachments

• 101_1407.jpg
    101_1407.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 206
  • 101_1412.jpg
    101_1412.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 101_1415.jpg
    101_1415.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 100

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
WoW (scratching my head) the ramps were for box turtles? I think Id take the ramps out. It seems kinda neat but my only concern would be if they fell off the ramp and was flipped under the basking bulb, and couldnt flip back. Ive read of people losing torts due to flips and not being able to right themseves.
Otherwise good find for 20$. Can you plant plants in there? That would be cool too.
Welcome to the forum :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm not sure how big the cage is but, I agree with I lovemturts, I would get rid of the ramps.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The cage itself measures 41" x 49", and they would only be in there in the daytime on nice days, so it's not a constant thing.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay I took out some stuff and lowered the ramps so the highest spot is the top of that turtle barn, so I feel much better about it now. I'll just be sure to pile a bunch of hay and substrate at the base of the barn part, just in case they tumble. It's chilly out so they can't "play" today, but I did set Elessar in it for a couple of minutes to make sure he could manage the ramps and he was like... "YEE HAAAAW!!!" Man, he loved it! Round and round he went! I'll try to get up another pic of the re-do in a bit!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
that looks like a cool enclosure! i think you made the right decision with the ramps...

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay here it is with the lowered ramps! This way no one can get stuck on one end of a ramp, either, and have difficulty turning around... Elessar just went around and around and around on the ramps yesterday when he tested them out! The only thing I need to change is that along the longest ramp on one side, he spent a bit of time trying to claw through the wire, so I'll need to set up a barrier along there so they can't see out! Otherwise, I think it's perfect! Just add some hay, fresh soil to the plant box, and something for water, and they'll be set for sunny days!

Attachments

• 101_1423.jpg
    101_1423.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 101_1424.jpg
    101_1424.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I had them in there for four hours today while it was warm and sunny, and they got some great excersize! They had a blast!!! Now we are supposed to have nice warm weather for two more days, so they'll be out again tomorrow! I'm excited for them, and I enjoy watching them... I don't know why but I get a kick out of seeing them go up and down the ramps! I did have to put a barrier on the ledge on the right in the first picture - right next to the ramp is the other green ramp that goes down from the turtle barn. Elessar kept trying to leap from the ledge down onto that green ramp, and getting himself stuck sideways! LOL! So I put a barrier up there so he can't do that anymore!

Vegas Chad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Looks good! If the weather is ideal consider keeping them totally outside for a few days... It's a good way to charge up the torts a bit... :)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would love to do that but I'm in Wisconsin and gets quite cold here at night... I don't have a heated "barn" for them or anything yet... so I've just been keeping them out there when it's nice and sunny. Would they do okay during the day if the sun isn't shining on the enclosure? The spot I had to put it in my yard gets direct sun for about 5 hours a day, otherwise it's shaded by trees. The weather has been in the 60's so I don't know if that's too chilly without sun to sit in. Except the next two days are supposed to be mid-70's!

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Thats a cool setup.A great deal.Glad your torts like it.It was a good idea taking the high ramp down just tipping over is dangerous but from a hight...

B

Bansh88

Unless you have some serious predators in your yard, I'd just go with 4 boards, open enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your post made me smile. I could almost see them playing. Sounds like it's being turtle tested and tested well.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I'm working on downloading some videos of Elessar playing in there! The last few days have been so bright and warm and sunny that they've been able to be in it all day! They LOVE IT! But they're getting too brave and going off the turtle barn!! EEK! Likely they've righted themselves each time... I've been trying to block some spots off to keep them from doing that, though, but they are so silly! It's like they want to try new ways to get from point A to point B, because the regular way is too boring! I'll post links to the videos when I get them done!

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi Cvalda, i think its great, you just need better and more substrate in there.
Tortoises, specially russians are Diggers whether indoors or out.

Also, id put high walls on them ramps so they dont fall off.

looks great though.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This post was from a year and a half ago. just an fyi..

Status
Not open for further replies.