Questions about Sulcata housing, live in Indiana

Kyster

Hi, I am interested in owning a sulcata. I live in Indiana where it can get really hot and humid in the summer and very cold in the winter. I wondered what your advice would be for housing a sulcata? I share a house with my parents and they would not want a huge tortoise roaming in the house, nor would they want him to take over the lawn. I wondered if I could construct some kind of outdoor pen that I could fill with substrate to where it wouldn't burrow into the lawn? What kind of size of an enclosure would I need to prepare for a full grown tortoise? And since it gets very cold, I may be able to make space for him in the basement/crawspace as well, although sometimes mice and spiders can creep into there. Do you have any ideas how I might be able to make this work? Thanks!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
It sounds like you should consider a smaller tortoise. Sulcata will get over a hundred pounds. For winter he needs a bedroom size enclosure, kept at 80F.

Kyster

Ok thanks, I was considering something smaller, like a russian, greek, hermann, I just find the Sulcata to be very fascinating as well!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I suggest that you settle for another kind of tortoise. Sulcatas can be very, very destructive especially if they don't have room to roam. It sounds like if you get a sulcata and it caused some trouble with the lawn, or even a neighbors lawn, your parents may force you to give him up. It's not fair to the animal to put him in a cold basement with spiders and mice. This species need space! They also need to be kept in a warm environment during the winter months. Is there another species, a smaller one, that you can consider?

Kyster

Yeah that makes sense, I could consider another species, do you any recommendations for a smaller tortoise, that I could split between an outdoor enclosure and a pen that I could keep indoors as well? Maybe a Russian, Greek, Hermanns or another kind of tortoise?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I agree, you probably shouldn't get a sulcata. Mine dug under the fence into our neighbors once. Then he dug underneath our house and we had to hire a contractor to fill it in. He is a bulldozer and drags the lawn furniture across the yard. He has broken sprinklers. But I wouldn't consider penning him into a smaller space. He deserves the best life I can give him and that includes space to roam.

Kyster

I appreciate the info. Yeah, I would not want to constrict the space of the sulcata. I will look into other tortoise that may be more suitable for my situation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, best to get a smaller tort now and when you are living in your own home and can afford to heat a large shed or barn then get your sulcata. They can do fine in Indiana in the winter, any tort can as long as you have the means and room