Questions Before Diving In!

Parasite68

Location (City and/or State)
Metairie
Ok... I went to the show today and fell in love with a little baby red foot! I can’t post pics of him, but I will as soon as they sort out the pic problem! I dealt with Rancho De Tortuga, a dealer out of Texas. The guy seemed like he was on the up and up, and answered my questions correctly based on what I learned here! Other dealers failed actually and their specimens looked haggard.
My little guy/girl was in a small tub with two other baby reds. They had Greeks, Marginateds, Hermanns, and Sulcatas. My new buddy was active, but not stressed, and his colors are really nice and vivid. His shell has a very nice shine to it, and his eyes are perfect as well. He’s used to eating Mazuri tortoise chow and that’s a good thing! It actually eased my mind even more about the transaction!
As soon as we got home, I offered him some romaine, grapes, and tortoise grass mix. He chowed down for a few minutes, then he made a b-line tithe cool side, dug a little, and then covered himself like an oyster! He’s been that way ever since. Jet lag... The struggle is real. He’s exhausted... I’m exhausted... It’s been a long day for both of us... I’m still in awe of the way he mowed through the food! The last time I saw anyone or anything lay waste to a meal like that, it had to be my ex-mother-in-law at thst all you can eat Chinese buffet back in ‘98!

I think I’ll name him “Lunchbox”!!!

Parasite68

Metairie
Don't be alarmed if he sleeps all day. It's not unusual.
How is the temperature?
Temps look pretty good... I’ve been monitoring all day. The warm side of the enclosure has been alternating from 89 to 91... The cool side hit 73 at the very wall of the enclosure. Humidity on the cool side of the enclosure is right at 64%. The humidity at the warm side was at 54% where the heat source is targeted. I’m expecting the humidifier to be delivered during the day on Sunday. I’m going to have to play with it and see how much higher I can raise the levels all around...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Temps look pretty good... I’ve been monitoring all day. The warm side of the enclosure has been alternating from 89 to 91... The cool side hit 73 at the very wall of the enclosure. Humidity on the cool side of the enclosure is right at 64%. The humidity at the warm side was at 54% where the heat source is targeted. I’m expecting the humidifier to be delivered during the day on Sunday. I’m going to have to play with it and see how much higher I can raise the levels all around...
Chances are that you'll get it all figured out and end up tossing the humidifier.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I am attending a Reptile Show in my hometown tomorrow and am about to take the tortoise plunge. In the past, I've kept box turtles with success, so I have an idea of what to expect.

After doing research, I've decided that the Cherry Red Head would be a great companion to start my journey with. They're pretty to look at and the size is perfect for my home. I do have questions, though.

I'm planning on getting a baby and keep him/her indoors. I'm planning on getting the enclosure from the show. I'm starting with the 3'x2' size. As it gets older, I'll work on a pen outside, but baby steps first! No pun intended! Can you give me recommendations as far as brand (zoo med tortoise house?), what enclosures to expect for purchase, and what kind of prices do you think they'll have. The same goes for lighting. What types of lighting do you recommend as far as fixtures? Domes or strips. I'm planning on having a ceramic heating element as well as a good UV bulb.

As for the tortoise itself, what's a reasonable price to expect for a cherry red head?

What's the best pellet food? Can I leave it in the bowl during the day and feed a good meal of greens in the evening?
I've got other questions, but I guess this is a good start!

Thanks in advance!

Brian
make sure you research the seller!!! I recently bought a tort from a reptile show and the man sold me a sick tort, it died thre weeks later. wouldnt eat, always slept... I had no idea of the history of the animal or the seller you should look into finding a breeder first... just some advice

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
Ok... I went to the show today and fell in love with a little baby red foot! I can’t post pics of him, but I will as soon as they sort out the pic problem! I dealt with Rancho De Tortuga, a dealer out of Texas. The guy seemed like he was on the up and up, and answered my questions correctly based on what I learned here! Other dealers failed actually and their specimens looked haggard.
My little guy/girl was in a small tub with two other baby reds. They had Greeks, Marginateds, Hermanns, and Sulcatas. My new buddy was active, but not stressed, and his colors are really nice and vivid. His shell has a very nice shine to it, and his eyes are perfect as well. He’s used to eating Mazuri tortoise chow and that’s a good thing! It actually eased my mind even more about the transaction!
As soon as we got home, I offered him some romaine, grapes, and tortoise grass mix. He chowed down for a few minutes, then he made a b-line tithe cool side, dug a little, and then covered himself like an oyster! He’s been that way ever since. Jet lag... The struggle is real. He’s exhausted... I’m exhausted... It’s been a long day for both of us... I’m still in awe of the way he mowed through the food! The last time I saw anyone or anything lay waste to a meal like that, it had to be my ex-mother-in-law at thst all you can eat Chinese buffet back in ‘98!

I think I’ll name him “Lunchbox”!!!

What a small world. I bought my RF from the same guy back in August

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
Awesome! How's your RF doing? Are you happy with RDT??? Rick, I think his name was...

She's doing good. She's still pretty young, so she spends most her time hiding/sleeping. But she has plenty of appetite

The guy was nice when I met him, took the time to answer all my questions, even though his booth was slammed at the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One more question! Is it okay to clearcoat the inside of the wooden Tortoise house or just the outside???
I would scrap that "Tortoise House." and get a large plastic bin. It's much easier to keep a covered bin humid and warm. Clear coating won't stand up to the constant moisture your new tortoise needs, and, depending upon the product, may be toxic.

Parasite68

Metairie
I would scrap that "Tortoise House." and get a large plastic bin. It's much easier to keep a covered bin humid and warm. Clear coating won't stand up to the constant moisture your new tortoise needs, and, depending upon the product, may be toxic.

Yeah, I had to customize it with a shower curtain. Humidity has been steady at 86%! I did treat the outside with clear coat but not the inside!

Parasite68

Metairie
Actually, if you've kept box turtles, it's about the same care as a baby box turtle, with much less protein.
Those are the two species I keep as they have the same care.

That’s actually why I chose the red foot! I figured it would be the most compatible wirh my experience level! The other reason is I think they look good!

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah, I had to customize it with a shower curtain. Humidity has been steady at 86%! I did treat the outside with clear coat but not the inside!
Anything used to seal the inside has to be "food safe", and still aired out for months. I'd just use the shower curtain inside for now. Before you know it you'll need an 8x4 cage next year and then need to worry about his permanent environment.