Quick question of Bell Pepper leaves

Ehaley

I have a tendency to pick up my girls feces and toss them in a flowerpot with organic soil in it. I do this because each spring I have a chance to grow what ever seeds they may have in their fecal material into a thriving plant. Which I then re-feed them with what ever fruit or veggie that grows.
However earlier this summer I took a handful of red and yellow bell pepper seeds I had removed from the pepper itself and tossed them in a pot. I now have several big bushes of them. Question is (finally I know) can I feed the leaves freely to my three girls. I researched what I could find and it seems it's fine on occasion for Iguanas. But I always like a few opinions regardless of what logic tells me there may always be a reason to refrain

Ehaley

I currently have a 5 foot Mulberry Bush from using this method. Do try it out its a fun experiment, and their poop is such an awesome fertilizer haha

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here you go on the Bell Pepper..

• Common Name: Sweet Pepper (Green Pepper, Pepper, Capsicum, Bell Pepper)
  • Latin Name: Capsicum spp.
  • Family Name: Solanaceae
This plant comes from the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco and the nightshades, and although the pepper itself is not actually toxic to tortoises (and a small amount will not harm them), the leaves, stem and roots are toxic and should not be fed.

The pepper does not have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio (it is 1:2.1) and the ripened pepper can be too high in sugars for most tortoises (although it can be fed sparingly to fruit-eating species).