Rabbit odour removal

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey guys!
I got the gerbils a new cage the other day. It is second hand as the new ones cost too much. It is a wooden cage with plexiglass sides.

The woman used to keep rabbits in it so it stinks. I have washed it with soapy water and used a pet disinfectant but it still smells.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the smell?
Thanks!

Rue

Canada
Let us know if the bleach works (if you use it) to get rid of the smell...rabbit urine seems to be particularly hard to get rid of. I once had to clean a room that had housed rabbits...

I gave up eventually and asked maintenance to repaint. They needed two coats...lol.

The chlorine in bleach dissipates rapidly. To disinfect I let the chlorine solution soak whatever I'm disinfecting for at least 30 minutes. Then I rinse well and let dry completely. After that it's good to go.

Don't forget...we have chlorine in our drinking water - which is, in part, why our drinking water is as 'safe' as it is.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I had a quick search online and white vinegar seems to be recommended. (Get it from the supermarket)

Vinegar is an acid, disinfectant (and bleach for that matter) is alkaline. So it is possible that vinegar may work where your disinfectant didn't.