Read before buying! - Tips for Avoiding Scams

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Scams happen. If you suspect a scammer on this site, please report it to a moderator ASAP.

Tips for avoiding scams –
  1. Ask around. Do you know anyone who has purchased from this seller? Consider opening a thread on this forum asking other members about their experiences with the seller.
  2. Do your homework. Google the seller’s name, business name, phone number, and email address.
  3. Always request photos.
  4. Do a reverse image google search for all photos that the seller gives you to make sure that the images are not stolen.
  5. Obtain a physical address rather than simply a post office box and a telephone number, and call the seller to see if the telephone number is correct and working. Search the address on Google Maps to make sure it actually exists.
  6. If feasible, consider picking up the tortoise rather than shipping.
  7. Check with the Better Business Bureau from the seller’s area.
  8. Don’t judge a person or company by their website; flashy websites can be set up quickly.
  9. Be cautious of unsolicited IMs & e-mail.
  10. Be cautious when dealing with individuals/companies from outside your own country.
  11. Inquire about returns.
  12. If possible, purchase items online using your credit card, because you can often dispute the charges if something goes wrong.
  13. Make sure the transaction is secure when you electronically send your credit card numbers.
  14. Don't let your gaurd down for a good deal. If an offer seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
More tips to avoid scammers can be found on the FBI website here: https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
I recently had a male from Cameroon trying to sell me some torts but stated he was in Columbus Ohio. His phone number prefix came back to Connecticut. He wanted me to send money by walmart money transfer but then changed to Western Union cash pickup. He gave an email of [email protected] which comes back to a pet store in Cameroon. I never did take him seriously and wanted to play along to see what tactics he employed. To summarize:

If seller pressures you to do western union for cash pickup only at a store front with quick timeline or "somebody else will buy the product", start getting suspicious.
Call the number they give you and if it gets directed to a global transfer service, get even more suspicious.
Search every piece of information they give you because eventually they will need to give some info to get the money from anyone.
And if the seller calls you "bro" or "dude" in every form of communication, be very very suspicious :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can't stand scammers and I'm seeing a LOT of scams involving Tortoises lately both here and other sites. People, please use your better judgement. Beware of new members. Before sending money to anyone ask for a picture of the animal with a piece of paper next to it with the date written on it. Scammers can't provide this because most of the time their using stolen pictures. If they want to use Western Union, big red flag. Also in the adoption forum please be careful of who's responding. If the person recently joined and every one of their posts is trying to acquire a free Tortoise, big red flag. If they say they have other tortoises, or nice enclosures, or plenty of land etc, get pictures! Use your better judgement and be careful.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Scams happen. If you suspect a scammer on this site, please report it to a moderator ASAP.

Tips for avoiding scams –
  1. Ask around. Do you know anyone who has purchased from this seller? Consider opening a thread on this forum asking other members about their experiences with the seller.
  2. Do your homework. Google the seller’s name, business name, phone number, and email address.
  3. Always request photos.
  4. Do a reverse image google search for all photos that the seller gives you to make sure that the images are not stolen.
  5. Obtain a physical address rather than simply a post office box and a telephone number, and call the seller to see if the telephone number is correct and working. Search the address on Google Maps to make sure it actually exists.
  6. If feasible, consider picking up the tortoise rather than shipping.
  7. Check with the Better Business Bureau from the seller’s area.
  8. Don’t judge a person or company by their website; flashy websites can be set up quickly.
  9. Be cautious of unsolicited IMs & e-mail.
  10. Be cautious when dealing with individuals/companies from outside your own country.
  11. Inquire about returns.
  12. If possible, purchase items online using your credit card, because you can often dispute the charges if something goes wrong.
  13. Make sure the transaction is secure when you electronically send your credit card numbers.
  14. Don't let your gaurd down for a good deal. If an offer seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
More tips to avoid scammers can be found on the FBI website here: https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes
Great information. Thanks so much!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We (the moderators) installed a rule for the 4 sale section of being involved in 100 posts before you can post there to help cut down on scams.

Russiantortylady

Vermont
After I lost my Russian a couple of weeks ago I was looking at a star from TORTOISE AND TURTLE LOVERS. I told them I was interested in possibly buying one. Well that was all it took, they sent me what payment types they took, none of which I dealt with at all. They wanted payment NOW, I told them very nicely that I was on the road and could not make payment then. I kept getting text messages from them asking for payment on the tort. I finally got sick of all of the nagging a through text and blocked them!! They are very pushy and another thing that kind of set me off was they spoke broken english...................If Iam going to purchase something be it a pet or anything I do not like to be pushed, in the pet area it is a lifetime commitment, so run, DO NOT walk away form them!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I can't stand scammers and I'm seeing a LOT of scams involving Tortoises lately both here and other sites. People, please use your better judgement. Beware of new members. Before sending money to anyone ask for a picture of the animal with a piece of paper next to it with the date written on it. Scammers can't provide this because most of the time their using stolen pictures. If they want to use Western Union, big red flag. Also in the adoption forum please be careful of who's responding. If the person recently joined and every one of their posts is trying to acquire a free Tortoise, big red flag. If they say they have other tortoises, or nice enclosures, or plenty of land etc, get pictures! Use your better judgement and be careful.
And also remember about photo shop...so sometimes a picture ain't worth poop:)

Jan A

Boulder, CO
After I lost my Russian a couple of weeks ago I was looking at a star from TORTOISE AND TURTLE LOVERS. I told them I was interested in possibly buying one. Well that was all it took, they sent me what payment types they took, none of which I dealt with at all. They wanted payment NOW, I told them very nicely that I was on the road and could not make payment then. I kept getting text messages from them asking for payment on the tort. I finally got sick of all of the nagging a through text and blocked them!! They are very pushy and another thing that kind of set me off was they spoke broken english...................If Iam going to purchase something be it a pet or anything I do not like to be pushed, in the pet area it is a lifetime commitment, so run, DO NOT walk away form them!!
So sorry about losing your Russian. It's bad enuf going thru the loss. You don't need scammers in your life in the best of times. If you want some conversation, we're here.