Really worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

feline8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MD
I'm adopting a male rf tortoise from a member of this forum but the tortoise still hasn't arrived yet. The person who I am adopting from said he would ship yesterday morning. We have been discussing adoption for about a month now and shipping keeps getting delayed. Also, he doesn't respond to email or go online here often. I understand that he just may be busy but I'm anxious to receive the tortoise. Sorry if this is in the wrong place to post (I'm not sure where to post this)..

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
ALDABRAMAN said:
Hope he arrives soon and safe.

Thanks. I doubt he shipped the tortoise yet since it's already past 4 p.m. here, and fedex shipments usually arrive in the afternoon.

Does anyone think I should just buy a tortoise instead or wait until the person sends?
Again, I've been trying to adopt the tortoise for more than a month now and he said he would send me the tortoise 3 weeks ago
(last message on last saturday was that he will send the tortoise yesterday morning)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
This sounds a little strange to me... I wouldn't think someone would ship a tortoise based on a message left almost a week ago. No tracking number either? Sorry to say, but it sounds like this adoption will probably not take place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is a long time member, I wouldn't worry too much. But I would keep trying to get ahold of them. If it is a new member, well I might worry, as they haven't been here long enough to know what kind of person they are. This forum has had a few trolls and others banned for reasons that aren't good. If they sent it, they should give you a tracking number. However, I would still call fedex and see if there is anything they can tell you. I thought fedex and ups both delivered until like 9p.m.
Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Laurie said:
This sounds a little strange to me... I wouldn't think someone would ship a tortoise based on a message left almost a week ago. No tracking number either?

So far he hasn't been online since 8/18
The main reason the shipping was delayed was because he said he was going to be out, which took a week (around week 8/6)
Then, we agreed he would ship on 8/13, but never received tortoise
Finally at 8/18, the last message he gave me was "I had to pick up a larger box for him and i will ship him Monday morning."
(no tracking number)

He asked for my phone number and address earlier in order to book a shipment using shipyourreptiles.com

He said he would pay for shipping and there was no rehoming fee

wellington said:
If it is a long time member, I wouldn't worry too much. But I would keep trying to get ahold of them. If it is a new member, well I might worry, as they haven't been here long enough to know what kind of person they are. This forum has had a few trolls and others banned for reasons that aren't good. If they sent it, they should give you a tracking number. However, I would still call fedex and see if there is anything they can tell you. I thought fedex and ups both delivered until like 9p.m.
Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. He is a fairly new member (joined around the end of july)
The only post he made was about the adoption (I think he deleted his introduction post)
He sent me pictures of the male rf via email and it seemed legit...
:( I'm just hoping he isn't one of those trolls.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So did you pay any money for this RF? If you did, I would pm a mod and see if they know anything about this person. Seems we had something like this happen not too long ago. Almost same situation if I remember correctly. If you hadn't put out any money, well then I would give it a little more time. If he isn't making anything off of it, he may not be in any hurry.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
wellington said:
So did you pay any money for this RF? If you did, I would pm a mod and see if they know anything about this person. Seems we had something like this happen not too long ago. Almost same situation if I remember correctly. If you hadn't put out any money, well then I would give it a little more time. If he isn't making anything off of it, he may not be in any hurry.

He said there was no rehoming fee and that he would pay for shipping. I'm a little concerned about what you said about the new member trolling incidents though..

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I would like to think there are honest people out there and would wait another day. I too would contact FedEx. :/ I just shipped out a tortoise using shipyourreptiles and they provide the box. So, I would be a little worried regarding that. However, I live near them. Give him another day. If he doesn't respond move on. I am sure other tortoises would love a new home.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How have the temps been at the shippers, you, and all ports between? I know somebody from this forum has been planning to ship me a hingeback, but neither one of us are willing to take chances with temps being high either there or here, so we have been putting it off for a month(actually it's been more like two months I would guess). Now myself personally, if I am being gifted an animal, then I feel when they are ready to give him or her up, it's their call. Sometimes things come up...like life. Time is not there to do the shipping, money is all used up that week, the animal is off food so they want to watch it a bit, just lots of very valid reasons for them not to ship. Now if you want an animal right now, then try one last time with him and if your not happy, move on to another animal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you aren't out no money. Then I would give it a few more days. He might either be rethinking the expense he is incurring or he just is taking his time or he has decided to give or sell locally and doesn't have the morals to tell you. Either way, at least you aren't out money. So he isn't a scammer. There also could have been a misunderstanding of the Monday he was talking about. Give it until next Monday and if you haven't heard anything, I would give up and start your tort search over again. Keep us updated.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Jacqui said:
How have the temps been at the shippers, you, and all ports between?

He has not contacted me about any problems such as temperature. I live in Maryland, and the forecast for this week is sunny at an average of 86 degrees. Fairly good temperature to ship a tortoise.

conservation

10 Year Member!
To ship an adult red foot via fedex is pretty expensive. I would say 70-125 dollars maybe more. I am assuming the tortoises is pretty big because it is sexable. I do not know many people who would pay that much money towards something they are giving away.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Pets101 said:
To ship an adult red foot via fedex is pretty expensive. I would say 70-125 dollars maybe more. I am assuming the tortoises is pretty big because it is sexable. I do not know many people who would pay that much money towards something they are giving away.

Good point, the person I shipped a tortoise to today paid for it. Cost them a pretty penny. They were nice enough to pay for shipping and added a little money in for food and time I have invested. So, I would have a little patience.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Agreed with the others. If you haven't invested any money in it, it's hard to make demands.

I would give it a few days, then maybe ask him frankly what's going on with the situation.

In other news, nice to see so many MD'ers joing the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.