Recent Rescue

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
Here are pics of the Sulcata we rescued off of Craigslist last night.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/poor-socata-in-michigan.146847/

The previous "owner" had her in a 10 gallon tank, with a household coil bulb in a dome above her, no substrate and no water. He said she eats great- then listed off every food she is not supposed to eat. Also seems like he had some type of oil or wax on her shell- almost a mechanic smell to it. We scrubbed her down and the water was a yellowish color. Might just be nicotine, as he was a heavy smoker.

We set her up in a temporary home- 100 gallon storage bin, Zilla jungle mix, sphagnum moss, and a planter to hide in. Will work on something more permanent in the week to come.

@dmmj Sadly, I think you are right about the MBD. Back legs do not seem to do much other than drag. She has not moved a lot since we got her home, but she is alert and curious. IMG_8633.JPG
IMG_8634.JPG IMG_8635.JPG Rescue.jpg
Thanks @Yvonne G for the rescue uniform!!!!!!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Props to you for doing this! Great shirt too, got mine yesterday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love, Love, LOVE the last picture!!

The leg problem might just be from not being able to walk much and getting no traction on the glass aquarium. Give the tortoise as much outside time, on grass, that your weather allows to help him strengthen those legs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I rescued a leopard that could only drag itself. I not only gave him lots of room to roam, he was in a 10 gallon, but I also gave him hydrotherapy. I would fill a tub with warm water and deep enough he couldn't touch. He had to swim, in order to not sink. I of course held him from his underside until he could move his legs good enough to swim. Did this once to twice a day for about a month, give or take, can't remember. He is now my speedy guy. Fast little bugger.
Good luck, glad you could help this one out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the legs not working well as probably from non-use. a tortoise in an enclosure with no traction doesn't give them a lot of exercise I suspect with regular romps Outdoors this tortoise will get it's strength back. did the tortoise try to bum a cigarette off of you?

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
the legs not working well as probably from non-use. a tortoise in an enclosure with no traction doesn't give them a lot of exercise I suspect with regular romps Outdoors this tortoise will get it's strength back. did the tortoise try to bum a cigarette off of you?

haha not yet.... Might have to get nicotine Patch for torts...... I quit smoking almost 3 years ago, so we have zero tolerance for that in our home!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I agree that this seems like a prime candidate for hydrotherapy. Hope to see improvement soon.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a red from a similar situation. When she got here she had calluses on her 'knees' from scooting her back legs all of the time in a small smooth floored tank. Now that she has a yard to play in she's getting stronger every day. She holds herself up high and walks when she has somewhere to go, if shes just moving a few feet though she would prefer to scoot.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I rescued a leopard that could only drag itself. I not only gave him lots of room to roam, he was in a 10 gallon, but I also gave him hydrotherapy. I would fill a tub with warm water and deep enough he couldn't touch. He had to swim, in order to not sink. I of course held him from his underside until he could move his legs good enough to swim. Did this once to twice a day for about a month, give or take, can't remember. He is now my speedy guy. Fast little bugger.
Good luck, glad you could help this one out.
You are a torts Doctor! ! ! !:):):):):)

hydrotherapy is something I learn.......Thanks! ! !

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Back legs seem to work better than originally thought. I think she was just scared on first night. Yesterday she was walking all around and stood up on all four legs.

She ate a lot, I gave her collards, cabbage, kale, romaine and moistened Zoomed Grassland pellets. We were happy that she munched away and did not seem to mind us watching.

So far she has been relaxing under the CHE, burrowed in to the substrate, looking pretty content. Our weekend plans are a more permanent large home.

IMG_8639.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will be good to have a more permanent, larger home, however, she's so used to living in small, cramped quarters, that she's probably quite content where you have her.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I really like this one. She's so cute.

I'm glad her legs are working okay. She'll probably start using them more once she gets used to having more room to walk around in.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I get so excited every time I come across another Michigander on here. It's silly actually.

I check Craigslist all the time for tortoises, and every time I see any sulcatas they are always poorly taken care of. So every single time I'll shoot a message and make an offer, and every time I'm too slow and it is already gone. Makes me cringe every time because I'm assuming that more often than not the next owner is going to continue the horrendous care.

There was one a few months ago exactly like you are describing now. I doubt it's the same, but part of me wonders.

Good job on the rescue.

Something I noticed about Craigslist tortoises up here. 90% of them are Russian, 9% are sulcatas, and every once in a while I see a Greek (that sometimes is actually a Russian). I have never once come across a tort outside of those three breeds on that site.