Recommended Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi again, Questions McGillycutty reporting for duty :)

Soooo, I have read the 'Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles' A.C. Highfield-very informative, but a little beyond my requirements at this time. I have also read an assortment of little books that I believe were geared more towards children, and also had quite a few discrepancies that even I, as a 'newbie' recognised. I was considering purchasing 'Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinensis and hermanni (Chelonian Library, Volume 2)' I was wondering if anyone has read this and has any thoughts on whether it is worth purchasing. If there are any other recommended readings that you guys would be willing to share that would be really great too!

Thanks again to all of you awesome knowers-of-all-things-tort!
Cheers, Carley :)
php7MmoHFAM.jpg
ps I don't let Zippy eat berries I just wanted to see how the little fella would approach a food item that was bigger than he was...

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Carley

When did you find the book 'Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles' A.C. Highfield. It is almost imposible to find here in Canada. Did you buy it from the net? or from a book store (I am going to the states next month I could go buy it). I heard this book has a lot of important infos.

Thanks

Isa[/i]

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
hello and welcome to the board.

I'm currently reading 'Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinensis and hermanni (Chelonian Library, Volume 2)'.

My guess is if you found 'Practical Encyclopaedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles' a little beyond your requirements at this time, you'll feel the same about that book. It's an extensive book about the specie which, of course, also features Husbandry, along with other topics.

What are you looking for, exactly? A good beginners guide?

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hey there Isa,

Yes I found a few copies in Canada ranging from $375-$750!!! CRAZY, who pays that much money for a book that doesn't contain secret genuine information about feeling young and healthy forever??? Well I would definitely recommend getting it in the States. Mine came from Amazon.com and I still paid $$$ for it. It was a mother's day present to myself. Perhaps I should rent it out?? hehe, just kidding-good luck finding one, and if you do-please don't tell me how much you paid for it. ;)

Carley

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hi TD, and thank you for the welcome :)

I am looking for something that pertains to the Hermann's Tortoise natural habitat, in detail-how they survive/behave in the wild..something that would have answers to the simple questions that I have been asking in terms of the husbandry-such as timelines and charts (proper weight gain,growth-too much too little) what to expect-what is normal what is not..ya know what I mean??? For example when I first brought Zippy home and I watched him breathe and his little head and arms were moving I thought perhaps something was wrong until I researched it..I want a book with stuff like that :)

Cheers!

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TG...ooops sorry

yes I did read it..thanks-that's how I happened upon this wonderful site :) Was doing some reserching and came across Chris' great care sheet.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
'Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinensis and hermanni (Chelonian Library, Volume 2)'

I like this book but it is very expensive and very detailed. Unless you are really very keen I would look elsewhere. Its a great book but if you mostly want information about how to keep a tortoise then you don't need most of what is in there.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It helps to have been doing this for over 30 years and saving things I find on the net doesn't hurt. :D

Danny

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Ozric said:
'Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinensis and hermanni (Chelonian Library, Volume 2)'

I like this book but it is very expensive and very detailed. Unless you are really very keen I would look elsewhere. Its a great book but if you mostly want information about how to keep a tortoise then you don't need most of what is in there.

No doubt. That's exactly what I was thinking, and I already spent a kazillion $$ on the A.C. Highfield book. I am pretty keen, but content with simply my Zippy's well-being for now...at least until I find out the lil' fellas sex :) Welp, I guess if I need more in depth info. I will just have to ask you..the person with 'the book'. Just kiddin', thanks for the feedback!
Cheers, Carley
ps look at me babbling on, I've already become a 'junior' hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.